Logo

1947 Evinrude 4416 2HP Was running

J

Jeff Cates

"I inherited a (was runnin

"I inherited a (was running last time checked) motor. It was supposedly started about 2 years ago. I have decided to get it out and play with it. At first it did nothing (still does nothing), but I found it wasn't getting fuel. So I took the line off and replaced it. I get loads of fuel now. But I still get no start. I have pulled the carb off and cleaned it all out. But I haven't put it back on yet. My other thing to do is replace the plug and wire. It is a single cylinder. I do have good compression so I know it is fine on the ring end of things and maybe a plug and wire will fix it. But I would like help deciding what else it could be if that doesn't fix it."

"That motor has the potential

"That motor has the potential to be a great little motor. If you know for a fact it is getting fuel, and it has compression, then the issue is likely that it has no spark. Yes, go ahead and replace the spark plug, but it is quite probably something in the ignition. Removed the spark plug, put the spark plug wire on it, and ground it against the engine block. Pull the cord and see if there is spark (Be careful not to zap yourself). If there's no spark, there's a good chance the the contact points (under the flywheel) have rusted from sitting. If you are mechanically savvy, remove the flywheel and check them, and look at the coil (inspect for cracks). Points can be filed down so they work again, and you can still purchase ignition kits for these motors if needed. Considering the price of a new motor, it may be worth bringing to a small engine shop to have serviced. I have a 1948 3.3HP Evinrude that runs like the day it was new. I could probably get $100 if I sold it, but wouldn't part with it simply because I couldn't afford to replace it. In your case, it may cost you $100 to have it repaired by an expert, but look up the price of a new 2HP outboard, if your motor is otherwise in good shape, I'd go with fixing up the old girl. Done right, your motor will be as reliable as a new one, and in my opinion, looks better too!"

"Thanks, I am planning to pull

"Thanks, I am planning to pull the flywheel off and check under there for any broken or loose stuff. I haven't done a spark test yet. I have rebuilt many of engines in cars in my time and even a weedwacker and lawnmower. So I am pretty confident in this project. Buying a repair manual would be nice, but it seems to be a very straight forward engine with very little to worry about to bother with a book!"

Back