Logo

Volvo penta 57 gl starting problems

M

mike mallis

I have a 96 four winns 258 vis

I have a 96 four winns 258 vista with a 5.7gl volvo penta engine. I had the engine tuned up at the beginning of the season and the boat ran great for about a month. Since then I have had a hard time getting it started. Once I do it runs and idles perfect. It just won't turn over....cranks and cranks but seems like it just doesn't have enough to get over the top. The batteries are fine as well as the terminals. I changed the plugs and was able to get it started but even then I had to shorten the gap to .20 from .45 (what it is suppose to be). It worked for a couple of days but then the same old thing. It can't be the plugs b/c I would go through 10 sets over the season. Could I have the wrong type? Do I need a hotter plug? The wires are about 2 years old...could this be it? I haven't checked the fuel filter but the fire arrestor is clean and the carb is about 2 years old. I am getting frustrated and starting to lean towards possibly replacing the starter motor. Thanks in adcance for any advice.

Mike

"Have you conducted a load tes

"Have you conducted a load test on your batteries? If not, you may want to measure the voltage before and while cranking. A large drop in voltage could be an indication that the batteries are NG.

I have my spark plugs gapped at about 0.035, but I am using electronic ignition. The new type I will be trying in the next few days is the NGK YR5 5334.

When you are about to start, try hotwiring the + of the coil from the + of the battery. If the engine starts, you could have a faulty switch or faulty wiring before the coil (also the safety neutral switch could be "iffy"). If you still have the problem, then look at coil and distributor (rotor & cap).

Remember: if you manage to start the engine when hotwiring the coil, you have to remove the jumper between the battery and the + of the coil if you want to turn it off!!"

"..."I have had a hard tim

"..."I have had a hard time getting it started. Once I do it runs and idles perfect. It just won't turn over....cranks and cranks "

Huh? Either it won't crank, and hence won't turn over, or it will. You're confusing the heck outta me (and that's not hard).

That's a carb motor, I presume. I also presume it has an electric fuel pump with an oil pressure switch that cuts off the pump until it sees oil pressure--a common (and crappy) setup. If all of my many guesses are correct, here's what you can have a mechanic try next time you go to the boat:

1. Check to see if the choke is closing properly.

2. If so, BEFORE trying to start it, have your mechanic jumper the fuel pump and run it (the pump) for about 10 seconds. Then see if it will fire right up.

3. If so, then have the mechanic install a momentary push button and circuit to 'prime' the fuel pump before starting the motor. I had to do this on my old boat--or wear out the starter--and it worked super.

Jeff"

"Thanks for the info guys. Af

"Thanks for the info guys. After some troubleshooting, it turned out to be the ignition coil. I noticed I was getting a very weak and intermittent spark. Changed that out and it starts right up."

Back