Logo

RPMbs Surging prop spinning

D

DannyC

" I have a 1990 200 Johnson.

" I have a 1990 200 Johnson. Just had it rebuilt (it's working great). Yesterday coming in, revving up after a no-wake zone, the rpm's would increase and the prop would not spin - loss of power - although the motor is running fine. I remember reading on the board about hubs spinning out? (A search engine would be a welcome addition to the board). Is this serious, more than a prop change? Any inputs are gratly appreciated. Joe thanks in advance.
Danny "

"Danny.... If the engine prope

"Danny.... If the engine propels the boat at a very slow speed but not at a higher speed, in all probability the hub has slipped. In which case have the prop rehubed by a reliable prop shop.

However, if the engine does not propel the boat at any speed, do the following. Preferably with the rig on a trailer, engine hood off, engine NOT running, key in OFF position. Spin the prop and put the engine in forward gear (spinning the prop allows the lobes on the shifter dog and forward gear to line up properly). Now, (make sure the ignition key is in the off position) grab the prop to see if you can turn it, and watch the flywheel. If the flywheel does not attempt to turn.... and you can turn the prop quite easily, I'm afraid that the problem is a broken driveshaft. Usually they break just under the water pump area. Hopefully, your problem is a slipped hub.

Joe
"

"Danny,
The board does have a

"Danny,
The board does have a search function. Just click on the Keyword Search link to the left of the screen.
Regards,
Andrew Menkart
"

" Joe,
It's like you desc

" Joe,
It's like you described so I guess I'll be taking the prop to a prop shop for a re-hubbing tomorrow. Any idea on a fair dollar amount this is going to cost?
Thanks again, as usual you've been great!
Danny "

" Andrew ...... Duh! I though

" Andrew ...... Duh! I thought it was strange that it didn't have a search engine. Thanks a lot. I've sent some guys on the FS forum over, they've been impressed. This is by far the best outboard motor site for the do-it-yourselver I've found.
Thanks again,
Danny "

"Danny,

Thank you for the n

"Danny,

Thank you for the nice comments and thanks for recommending the site to others. Any value that this board offers is the result of the generous efforts of volunteers like Joe Reeves and the others that spend considerable time and energy answering visitors questions here.

We hope that everyone using the site will help by contributing a response to any question that they feel qualified to respond to.

Regards,
Andrew Menkart
"

Back