Logo

Propshaft Seal Johnson 18HP 1958 Joe

johnt

"I'm looking for some tech

"I'm looking for some technical advice on changing the propshaft seal on the 50's and 60's vintage 18HP/20HP Johnsons. Are there any know "tricks" for removing the old seal from the bearing carrier assembly? It seems it just has to be pried out going around and around a little at a time, but I know of at least one case where the carrier was destroyed in the process. Figured before I try mine, I'd ask the experts. If something could be expanded inside it and pounded out from the other side?? much the same way as the shiftrod bushing can be threaded and tapped out from the other side?? Any idea would be appreciated, it just seems that prying it out with a screwdriver may not be what Johnson intended...Thanks for a very informative board. John"

"Check with a local auto parts

"Check with a local auto parts type store for a small slide hammer type tool. The one I use has various tips that can be attached, and for that job I use a tip that has two hooks that expand sideways when the threaded slide hammer shaft is screwed into it. The hooks grab the seal, a couple yanks, and the seal is out."

"As always Joe, you're rig

"As always Joe, you're right on the money. Stopped by a friends business and he had exactly what you were talking about. Seal popped right out!! Thanks Joe!!"

Back