Logo

Starting issues

R

Robert McMurtrie

i just had a new starter put o

i just had a new starter put on a 94 evinrude oceanpro 150 . started fine yesterday. today i primed the motor and the motor started to turn over than on the 3rd try it sounds like the starter is turning but not engaging.

"Did You change the starter or

"Did You change the starter or the bendix? If not the bendix, that is most probably slipping. Shaft complete with bendix has to be changed."

to be honost i belive they jus

to be honost i belive they just changed the starter. before it was changed it would give just one click and that was it.

yeah they did and i gave it to

yeah they did and i gave it to a friend who works at a shop to test and it was indeed bad. i just talked to my neighbor who mentioned the same thing you did about the bendix. i imagine it wouldnt ba too bad for me to do.

I would suggest You check the

I would suggest You check the starter if it smells 'burnt'. If so the probable reason for both the starter failure and the bendix failure might be a 'hanging' starter relay that does not release the starter/bendix quick enough.

i pulled the motor cover off a

i pulled the motor cover off and didnt notice any oder when checking the connections. when you say key switch your refering to the ignition i assume?i appreciate the help by the way. my first boat.

"You have to dismantle the sta

"You have to dismantle the starter to get the 'smell'. Yes, the ignition key switch. If You ave the newer type of switch where the safety lanyard hooks onto the key-switch, I have noticed that they sometimes does not go completely back to ignition from start if just released. They have to be 'put' back in ignition position."

"Hey Robert...When you hit the

"Hey Robert...When you hit the key, does the bendix fly up into the flywheel, and the starter continue to run without the engine rolling over..? If so, replace the bendix...If not and the starter just stops, check all of your connections from the Batt. up..pay close attention to the starter selenoid connections..."

gonna check all that after wor

gonna check all that after work one day this week. never worked on outboard before so service manul is on the way. only way to learn is to do it i guess.

still waiting on the service m

still waiting on the service manual but i called the shop who did the work and they along with a few others said i should recharge the batteries because it had been started so many times without being run for an extended time the batteries havent had ample time to charge while running the boat.

Hey Robert...lets start all ov

Hey Robert...lets start all over again....Have some one turn the key to try and start the engine...you look and see if the bendix moves up and engages the flywheel.....

"The bendix and shaft is a sep

"The bendix and shaft is a seperate part, and Tom: On this engine the bendix is hidden behind plastic covers and is not visible! Cannot run without the covers as the top cover even has the upper bearing!"

ok another question. go figure

ok another question. go figure right. the bendex and shaft ..will that come out when the starter is removed or would i be looking at removing the flywheel?

"Not the flywheel, but the big

"Not the flywheel, but the big plastic cover on top and the timing wheel. A note on the timingwheel, if You are unlucky it may be stuck/frozen and sometimes gets destroyed when removing. Just take off the center bolt and lift it up."

ok. i just got my service manu

ok. i just got my service manual and see what your talking about. it's not ver specific on the shaft removal. after removing the cover does the bendix and shaft for the most part lift right out. and if i havent thanked you for the help so far thanks.

hey there morton another quest

hey there morton another question. it mentions discarding the flywheelcover gasket and using locquic primer and then ht 400 to the timing wheel screw. are these things i can just pick up?

"I have never used anything on

"I have never used anything on the timing wheel screw, just thightend it. Never had a problem with it comming loose."

To my knowledge only a screw a

To my knowledge only a screw and washer. What gasket? Where am I?
Klick my name and enjoy!

Back