Logo

Identifying My Motor

firefytr

I recently bought an older boa

I recently bought an older boat with a 40 HP Johnson Super Sea-Horse Electramatic. The owner tells me it is a 1963 model. How do I verify that? I took the cover off the engine to find a model or serial number but can't seem to locate one. The one number I did find was on the top part of the motor on a rounded area with the numbers "J2630744". Where do I look on this motor for the needed numbers to identify it? I am looking to buy a repair manual in case I need it someday. Any help is appreciated (I'm new to boat ownership). Thanks

"Mike,

There should be a na

"Mike,

There should be a nameplate on the mounting bracket with a model number, or the model number could be stamped into a freeze plug on the cylinder casting.

40HP Johnsons of that vintage should have model numbers similar to what you see at this link."

"Thanks for the help Andrew.

"Thanks for the help Andrew. Just one question though. What is a freeze plug and where would I find it? Also, you mention a mounting bracket. Is that the bracket on the actual motor or on the cover? Either way I can't seem to locate it. Looks like if you can tell me what and where the freeze plug is, that will be the way to identify it. Thanks again.

By the way, the motor runs excellent, I was a little surprised at how well it ran, that is why I am trying to verify its age."

Back