Logo

Recommended fuel grade for 92 Evinrude Intruder V6

L

Lynn Moss

" Low, Mid Grade, or Premium?

" Low, Mid Grade, or Premium?

It seems like I remember reading some where that OMC recommended the Mid Grade, and warned not to use the premium. "

"Lynn... The brochure states t

"Lynn... The brochure states to use unleaded 87 octane.

Joe
"

" Thanks,
Now I remember...I

" Thanks,
Now I remember...I was reading in Bass & Walleye Boats Magazine an article about Reformulated Gas. In the article they quoted Manufacturers as saying off the record to not use premium as they believe it was a cause for engine failures. "

Joe is that for all the OMC e

Joe is that for all the OMC engines? I've had many different opinions from mechanics on this one. I run 93 octane in my 1990 9.9 HP. Am I putting it in jeopardy of premature failure.

"Jdkline.... No sarcasm intend

"Jdkline.... No sarcasm intended here but have one of those mechanics open the service manual to the front section. There he will find a complete listing of fuel and oil recommendations. The latest listing that I'm aware of states that the recommended fuel is 87 octane (pump posted). I seriously doubt that the higher octane fuels will endanger any engine. I've never heard of an engine failing simply because a high octane fuel was used.... it'll just cost more to operate. The main and most important aspect to keep in mind is the type of oil and the mixture. Buying a discount off brand 50/1 oil to put into a $10,000 or so engine is really not a good idea.

Joe
"

Back