Logo

Return to a magneto

T

tony orlando

is it possible to do away wit

is it possible to do away with the pulse pack system on a 73 100hp evinrude and go back to a magneto ignition.the motor runs great but i go through these packs once a year.i'm told this was the only year they made this nightmare and then through this design in the garbage.any help would be appreciated thanks

" Tony, one of the big problem

" Tony, one of the big problems with that system, was letting your battery get too low. So you must keep your battery charged up fully all the time. Plus, if you ever hook up your battery leads backward.....WHAM!, pack shot (most of the time). Are you replacing the coil at the same time, recomended? If you have the Wabash pulse pack, I have a brand new one that I would sell you for 1/2 cost of a new one. "

" ive been told this before an

" ive been told this before and have kept close eyes on it.idont believe it has ever ran that low.as for packs,i'm tired of putting the money into it every year or so-they aint cheap here in ny.i'm at the point of looking for a different engine or finding a conversion or replacing the powerhead it all comes down to dollars and cents unfortunately.as for your offer i will keep it in mind fishing season is around the corner thanks for the input tonyga12 "

" Tony.... Starting in 1973, O

" Tony.... Starting in 1973, OMC incorporated a "Magneto Capacitance Discharge" type ignition whereas the powerpack derived its voltage from a stator/charge coil setup which was situated just under the flywheel. I suspect that your engine is one that was built prior to that which used a "Battery Capacitance Discharge" type ignition, and depended on a battery for its power supply. That type ignition existed from 1968 to 1972, and yes..... those powerpacks were always quite expensive. Clean, tight connections (all connections) were/are a must. Also it was/is mandatory with that system to use a battery in tip top condition with a rating of at least 70amp hrs. Any deviation from the above and a person was risking a blown powerpack! Also, as the engine and electric starter got some age on it, the elec starter had a tendency to draw power from the pack when starting, resulting in excessive cranking, improper voltage to the pack, etc. The cure for this is to install a diode between the starter (heavy red wire)terminal and the (purple lead) power connection at the terminal block leading to the pack... making sure that the voltage travels from the starter to the pack lead, not vice versa! Summarizing... poor loose, dirty, etc connections or a cheap battery, or excessive starter voltage draw, or any combination of these WILL possibly damage that type powerpack. The above suggestions should eliminate the once a year replacement problem you've encountered. Good Luck. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC) "

Back