Logo

Raw Water Pump Leaking

jtm

"I have a 1993 Skipjack 24 wit

"I have a 1993 Skipjack 24 with twin Volvo 250B/SP (AQ151's) engines. I have a water leak from the raw water pump, not from the in/out copper pipe connectors, but it appears to be coming from the back of the pump. Raw salt water drips down from the back of the pump down onto the timing cam and timing belt and then the salt water sprays onto the engines...not good. Is there a seal in the back of the pump that can fail and cause a water leak? It is not leaking from the other copper line coming out of the heat exchanger. This system is not designed well as I have had to fight to prevent leaks from the copper pipe connectors."

"Yes, there is a lip seal in t

"Yes, there is a lip seal in the back of the pump. You will have to remove the pump to change it."

"At this stage, you may want t

"At this stage, you may want to check the timing gears for pitting. If they are pitted, replace them or they will eat the timing belt in no time. Also, consider spraying the timing gears with a light coat of "Fluid Film" (or Quicksilver "Corrosion Guard") to prevent corrosion from salt water."

"You must have had some experi

"You must have had some experience with this because, we just changed timing belt and found the distributor timing gear very pitted. That gear just happens to be where most of the salt spray from the leaking pump was directed. We changed that gear and I's like to keep it clean for a while. Thanks for the tip about the corrosion sprays, will pick up one of them."

"You can get those timing gear

"You can get those timing gears from autowreckers, usually at a very reasonable price. There is no difference between the automotive and marine timing gears."

"That's where I found this

"That's where I found this gear. It is actually the same size as the cam gear, which was also pitted and rusted. I picked up a couple off some older Volvo cars, just in case...and it came in handy. There are also other parts off these cars that can be interchanged on the marine engine, like you say, for very reasonable prices. Even the screws, bolts and nuts are useful. Appreciate your time and insight."

Back