Logo

Horsepower fuel gauge and timing belt

raceman25

"I recently purchased a 1988 S

"I recently purchased a 1988 SunRunner with a AQ151c Volvo Penta outdrive 290. It has 309 hours and the timing belt has never been changed. The timing belt looks fine but the manual says to replace at 500 hrs. Does it matter how old the belt is or do you go by hours? Would also like to know h.p. Also, when the fuel tank is full it only registers as half full. How do I check to see if it is the sending unit or gauge? Thanks, Ron"

"Regarding the timing belt, I

"Regarding the timing belt, I think it would be cheap insurance to replace it, as they are inexpensive. This will give you peace of mind. However, the worst thing that can happen if it breaks is that you will either need a tow or will have to use your kicker (auxiliary outboard) if you have one. The engine is non-interference, so the valves will not be damaged.

Regarding horsepower, check this link:

http://www.volvo.com/NR/rdonlyres/3A21FC96-3791-47E0-AEBB-44D20F0069F0/0/250A_SP _1990_en.pdf

Regarding the fuel gauge and sender, the first thing I would do is to make sure the connections are clean and the wiring is in good condition. If all OK, then I would remove the sender from the tank and physically operate the float all the way up and down to verify it is free. If you can get hold of a spare sender, you can wire it, then actuate the float and see if the gauge readings change. This will help you to determine whether or not the sender is faulty.

You can also use a variable resistor to test the gauge. The SELOC manual tells you how to do it."

Do a good inspection of the cr

Do a good inspection of the cranck shaft timing belt gear. If corroded and/or pitted:change!

Back