Logo

Carb Cleaning

mike911

"I have a 40hp 2 stroke 4 cyli

"I have a 40hp 2 stroke 4 cylinder Mariner Outboard. It sat unused all last year. Now I believe it is running on just one carb. It will start and run on high idle, but will not stay alive on low idle. The top carb reacts to carb cleaner or choking by hand...it starts to die. But the motor reacts not at all to the lower carb being choked or sprayed with carb cleaner, although there is steady suction when I choke it by hand. I've been told I need to take the carbs apart and clean them. Sound right ? Can I do it without a manual ? Motor ran fine two seasons ago"

"Gday Mike,

Pulling the car

"Gday Mike,

Pulling the carbs down is a good thing in any case, but check for spark before pullin em down, introducing extra fuel and no change means that the carbs may be flooding and can't fire the mixture (to rich) or there is no spark.

Cheers Spanaman"

"I have an very old mercury/ki

"I have an very old mercury/kiekaefer 7 1/2 hp.where can I get a repair/service manual,any help would be appreciated,thanks."

"Thanks Spanaman, you were rig

"Thanks Spanaman, you were right....no spark. I then took off the plastic panel to see if maybe just a loose wire (sometimes you get lucky). I undid and re-attached all the connections coming off the stator AND I GOT SPARK on #3 and #4. Apparently just a bit of corrosion or a slightly loose connection."

Back