Logo

Alpha One 50 LX starter change

J

John Peterson

How hard is it to change the s

How hard is it to change the starter and what tools do you need the boat is on the water? The motor cranks over real hard and I just put a new Battery in Also when it cranka it will make a thump noise after a few turns?

It all depends on the boat.

It all depends on the boat.
If you can get to the starter and have enough room to remove it past the stringer and the engine block / manifold it's not a hard job at all.
On the other hand if you have a tight fit then good luck.

As for tools you need a 9/16" socket wrench (deep 6 point works best) to remove the bolts holding the starter on.
Then you also need a 5/8" socket or wrench for removing the wire from the battery to the solenoid.
An 11/32" to remove the wire from the key switch from the solenoid and a 1/2" or 7/16" if there is a bracket on the back of the starter motor going to the block. There could be a 3rd small wire on the solenoid. If so it takes a 5/16" to remove it.

This can be a very easy job or a real PIA depending on the amount of room to work and the condition of the bolts / nuts.
Take care not to drop any parts in the bottom of the boat. There are very small lock washers on the wire from the switch.
If you have a rust problem spray everything with WD40 and let it sit before you start.
Watch that the wire from the switch is not turning when removing the nut holding it. If it turns the wire can be damaged.

If you do not enjoy standing on your head & working upside down you may want to have this job done.

Keep in mind that the little parts are stainless steel so if you drop them a magnet is not goint to pick the up.

"Thanks , I hope its a easy on

"Thanks , I hope its a easy one, Do i need to get the starter from a Marine dealer, or can I go to like NAPA ?"

"If the NAPA store sells marin

"If the NAPA store sells marine starters, yes. Why not just have it rebuilt by a local shop? There should be someplace near you.

Before I pulled the starter, I would check the timing. If it's advanced too much, it will be really hard to crank. The thump noise, I can't explain at the moment but I would listen to it after checking/resetting the timing."

"JOHN, MORE THAN LIKELY THE BO

"JOHN, MORE THAN LIKELY THE BOLTS ARE OFF SET AND THEY ARE DIFFICULT TO GET TO. I FOUND THAT YOU NEED TO RIG UP A STRAP TO HELP HOLD THE STARTER WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK. WHAT I FOUND WORKS GOOD IS A STRAP THAT YOU USE FOR SUNGLASSES, ATTACH A WIRE AND RAP IT AROUND ANYTHING TO HOLD IT IN PLACE. YOU NEED 4 HANDS TO DO THIS JOB SO THE STRAP COMES INTO PLAY."

"Thanks, Guys,
Well its not

"Thanks, Guys,
Well its not the starter , It was lose so I pulled and had it checked all good I think the thump must of been because it was lose ?? ,
Jim N mentioned timing, I think this could be it? So if the timing is off it will crank over funny--- hard then easy then hard ?? It says it should I believe 8 Deg btc ?? Does, this sound right"

Back