Logo

1991 Johnson Wonbt climb out of the hole

dmstrmac1

"Hi there I bought a 1991 nitr

"Hi there I bought a 1991 nitro with a 200 HP Johnson,VJ200SLEID My first bass boat. I took it out my first time and it wouldn't idol, but it would climb out of the hole. So i made an appointment to have it serviced at a local boat shop.the compression was as fallowed #1 85psi #2 85psi #3 90psi #4 95psi #5 85psi #6 90psiThe spark was good on all the plugs they chaneg'ed the gearcase oil and lubed all the fittings test ran and adjust low speed timing, carborator and synchronization check , cooling check, gear shift operation.and checked for leaks at or around the powerhead. told me it was fine. to go fishing it would be ok. I launched the boat and now it won't climb out of the hole. I can;t get it to go over 2200 RPM's It starts to plane out and at around 2200 rpm's it starts missing and won't wind up enough to plane out. it seems to me that somthing could be set wrong when I took it to the shop the only thing that was wrong was it wouldn;t idol is it possable they set something wrong or knocked something loose. I can't get it back to the shop for three weeks. If someone has a word of advice , I would really appriceiate it. thank you very much
David Ramey"

Probably a fuel problem. When

Probably a fuel problem. When You say 'missing' is it the 'slow' function kicking in? Does the primerbulb get 'flat'? Does Your alarm system work? (short beep when igntion on)

Yes the alarm system does work

Yes the alarm system does work.What is the slow function?I forgot to ad that the power head only has twenty hours on after the rebuild.and a new fly wheel and fuel pump. Thanks for your quick responce.

"The engine should be equipped

"The engine should be equipped with a vacum switch reducing the RPM (SLOW) if vacum in the fuel line gets too high. This should even set off the alarm. Suggest You test the alarm system by grounding one of the temp sensors at the head to see if it really works. (Ground the brown wire going to the powerpack). I'm not quite sure if Your 'missing' is caused by lack of fuel or SLOW, but do not give more throtle than the engine respond to. Test the function on the alarm system and slow function and then come back with the result."

Yes the alarm does sound when

Yes the alarm does sound when i ground the brown wire from the power pack. Thanks again for your help.
David RAMEY

"We still do not know if it is

"We still do not know if it is the slow function that is on. I have seen cases where the power pack has been locked in slow and the power pack had to be changed. Start the engine, ground one temp wire like when You tested, and check if the engine has the same behavior as before: 'missing' at 2000rpm. Just a short test, no need to kill it when testing."

"I have the feeling that this

"I have the feeling that this is a power pack problem: for some reason the powerpack has 'locked' itself in the slow modus. I do not like to suggest 'costs' that may not be correct, but have no option. Do You have the possibility of trying another powerpack? Do not forget to reconnect the alarm wires."

No I don't have anyone to

No I don't have anyone to barrow a power pack from but I knew when I bought this boat that I was going to need to spend some money on it and I don't mind replacing the power pack and even the carbs if i need to I just need'ed some direction from somone that knew what they were talking about I got such a good deal that i don't mind spending a few bucks to get a dependable fishing boat.
Thanks I will keep you posted on whats going on .
David Ramey

"David,
That sounds like

"David,
That sounds like the "slow" mode kicking in however where are you located. I have a spare power-pack from a 91 225. I'm in Spring Hill Florida. It's only a 30 minute swap."

"David,
Sorry I'm new

"David,
Sorry I'm new to the board and I just looked up where you're from......almost couldn't get any further from me."

Thank for your offer Roy I ord

Thank for your offer Roy I order'ed one it should be here any day supposed to be a one day order but today is the third day waiting. They got my money all ready so I can't back out.
Thanks man I hope thats the problem I want to go fishing.
David Ramey

"Well I replaced the power pac

"Well I replaced the power pack and it didn't help When I increase the RPM's it starts missing around 2000 rpm's and won't go any higher it is missing so bad i don't wan't to push it, I don't get any alarms sounding, It just starts running rough. I have an extra power pack now thats ok I might need it someday. I guess my next step is to rebuild the carbs huh.
Thanks in advance for any help.

David Ramey"

Run without the brown and stop

Run without the brown and stop/shift-switch wire connected to the power pack. Be 100% sure You only have the powerpack ground connected and not the stop circuit OR the shift switch stop circuit connected to the power pack!!!!!!!!

Is the brown wire the one you

Is the brown wire the one you had me ground to test the alarm? And is the stop switch wire the one with the wire clip at the back of the power pack under the vacume lines?
Thank you
David

Remember that the wires must b

Remember that the wires must be disconnectet at the power pack to eliminate the wire harness.
Disconnect Brown wire (Alarm). Disconnect black/yellow (stop). Leave only the wires comming from the stator and trigger under the flywheel and the one ground wire! This should eliminate the wireing harness. Note that the engine should be hard to shift and to stop You may need to use the primer! You will not have alarm and quickstart.

Back