Logo

Bearing carrier seal removal

maw77712

"I am trying to rebuild a lowe

"I am trying to rebuild a lower unit for a 1977 35 hp Johnson. I am having trouble removing the bearing carrier seals.. The seloc repair manual says that there are 2 seals installed back to back. I do not see this. I have a rubber seal piece with a metal spring like washer or gasket on top. Are the 2 back to back metal seals behind the rubber seal? Is the book incorrect? Are there different types of seals used on this? I cant get a picture of this to upload correctly. If anyone has any ideas on this I would really appreciate the help.. I can email you pictures if you need them. my email is [email protected]

Thanks,
Mike"

"You may have one double lip s

"You may have one double lip sealed installed, but in the new kit You will have two seals. Inner with spring towards gear, outer with spring towards prop. Have You taken out the bearing carrier from the gearcase?"

yes the bearing carrier is out

yes the bearing carrier is out. can i remove the double lip seal without destroying it? I have 2 1/2 lower unit parts. Do you know a good source for parts?

Mike

"Remove it and considder it de

"Remove it and considder it destroyed. Seal kits and service parts seems to be available from this site. Clock 'engine parts' on top of this page.
When replacing the seal, do not push them too far in. Outer edge of outer seal should be just at the camfer of the housing. Need some space between the inner seal and bearing for the oil to circulate. Use sealing compound between the seal outer ring and housing."

Back