Logo

Gray marine engine Identificatiom

L

Lance Nesta

" I have had a gray Marine en

" I have had a gray Marine engine including a Paragon drive unit . I bought it used and out of the boat about 20 years ago. It is a six cly.right now it is in building and is covered with "stuff" and surrounded with more "stuff" .so I have little more information to offer,as to anything else. It does have a very nice manifold on telling that it is a Gray Marine mfg. in Detroit.any help as to finding year ,value and a future home for this complete unit will be appreciated "

"Lance,

There were a lot of

"Lance,

There were a lot of different models of Graymarine 6 cylinder engines. Most were based on Continental blocks. If you can get some nameplate data or the displacement we can help you identify which model it is.

Value is difficult to detirmine... it depends a lot on condition. If the manifold is good that is a big help.

After you detirmine what it is you could certainly post it in our classifieds.

Post a picture here first though so we can give you some feedback.

Regards,
Andrew Menkart
MarineEngine.com

"

" Mr. Menkart thank you for th

" Mr. Menkart thank you for the quick response. I walked within @ 8 ft. of the engine today,but it still would have taken an hour or so to have "looked" at the engine. when I get a chance I will try to find any I .D. #,but where do I look for these marks ? I seem to think that someone told me the engine was a Hercules,is this possible?Are the marks on the manifold ?thanks again .Lance Nesta "

" I managed to uncover the lef

" I managed to uncover the left rear side of the engine .there is a plate on the box bolted to the block and another round tappered unit attached to the box.On the box is a brass{?} plate.it is worded as follows; Gray model#6-226 Eng#3054 . The tappered unit is worded "speed gear drive drive mfg. for gray by paragon gear works tauntan ,mass " Model#ra 15 No. K 1926 the exhaust manifold says "Gray Motor Manafacured by Gray Marine Motor co,Detroit Michagan USA .Does this help? thanks Lance Nesta "

"Lance,

That is a model Six

"Lance,

That is a model Six-226 engine which was considered a Medium Duty engine.

3-5/16" x 4-3/8"
226 cubic inch displacement
Max HP 73 or 93 at 2400 or 3200 RPM (Lugger or Express)

That engine was based on a Continental block, model F-226.

I still can't really help you with value... but it is always good to know what you are selling! We offer a Graymarine manual if you need one...

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Andrew Menkart
MarineEngine.com"

" Andrew, thank you .I found o

" Andrew, thank you .I found out more @ this "thing " in 4 days, than in the last 20 years!I was told once that bring `smart` doesn`t mean that you must know all that much, but in knowing where to look.After many years and much confusion,at least some of teachers may be proud of me!Once again,thank you, Lance Nesta. "

" Re: my Gray/continental engi

" Re: my Gray/continental engine. does anyone know from the information given above,the year or time frames when eng.#3054 was built? I hope to get a picture of it ,especialy the 'front' casting on the engine.I imagine I will need to know the approximate year of the engine to determine the value and any usage for it.The # 3054 is on a plate added by the Gray Motor co_Once again thank you whoever helps "

" Lance,
I don't know of

" Lance,
I don't know of a serial number list for Graymarine engines that would allow you to detirmine the year. Someone may have such a thing, and I would like to find out about it if they do. I think that your engine could be late 1930's, 1940's, or 1950's. If anyone else know... please jump in.
Regards,
Andrew Menkart
MarineEngine.com "

"Hi Lance. I have a Gray Mari

"Hi Lance. I have a Gray Marine Express 226 currently powering our 30 ft. steel hull boat.

This is a great engine and I think mid 1950's engine.

I would be interested in seeing pictures of your engine and possibly buying for parts.

Please contact me at [email protected]

Thanks

Gord Laird"

"I have aquired a 1949 Bay Cit

"I have aquired a 1949 Bay City vessel which was originally designed as a USCG open boat. It has been converted over to a cabin cruiser by Anchor Jensen. This vessel is powered by 175hsp super6 (330cid)twin Gray Marine engines w/single carbuerator for each engine and w/manual transmission. At this point, I am in the process of removing the manual fuel pumps (one which leaks slike a sieve)and replacing them with an inline electric fuel pump. My concern is what type of electric fuel pump to utilize as well as the configuration on wiring. Should I use a electric fuel pump for each engine activating it by the ignition switch, OR should I utilize (1) electric fuel pump for both engines with an auxillary switch to activate the fuel pump. Any help or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated. Please contact me at [email protected]
Thanks,
Ross Kelly"

"I have a model number V8CH195

"I have a model number V8CH195 with a serial # Y51138-210. Can anyone tell me what size and HP this motor is? Is it a AMC? The boat was made in 1963

Thanks,
Fort Madison, IA"

GARY:

THE ENGINE IS A AMC 3

GARY:

THE ENGINE IS A AMC 327 HIGH PROFILE WITH A ROCHESTER 2BDL DOWN DRAFT CARB..
195 HP @4200 RPM.

JOHN

"I have a Gray Marine aluminum

"I have a Gray Marine aluminum V8 in a 1962 Lyman 21 foot inboard. The Model No. on the plate is A136, Ser. No. T5003. On the factory hull sheet it is listed as 138 HP. It may be a 215 cu in Buick Fireball but I would sure like to find out any more information on it and if there is a manual anywhere. Has anyone come across these engines or information?"

"Bob:

I know of a guy that&

"Bob:

I know of a guy that's replacing TWO of these motors in his boat. They both run but need rebuilding. Interested?

Jeff

PS: He's in the mid-west, I think."

"I'm interested, if they&#

"I'm interested, if they're the 215 cu in aluminum V8."

Thanks Jeff. I'll keep che

Thanks Jeff. I'll keep checking back to see if anyone can find more information on the engine. It was rebuilt a few years back so parts must be available somewhere. They could be from the Rover V8. A manual or parts book would be a great find.

"HI BOB

TRY GRAY MARINE,INC

"HI BOB

TRY GRAY MARINE,INC. AT 630-485-5007

JOHN"

"Hi, I'm looking for a CW

"Hi, I'm looking for a CW rotating 215 aluminum V8 engine or parts. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks, Burt"

"Hi again, I can be contacted

"Hi again, I can be contacted at [email protected] If anyone can point me in the direction of a CW rotating 215 aluminum V8 engine or parts. Thanks, Burt}}}}"

"Not much info there Burt. Wha

"Not much info there Burt. What engine is it? GrayMarine? What year, what brand boat is it from? Is there a serial number or something that the members can lead on? Please more info.
Cal"

"Hey Cal, The engine or parts

"Hey Cal, The engine or parts I'm looking for was made by GM 61-63 Buick,Olds,& Pontiac. Gray marine used them. What I need to find is (I think) the starbor engine (in a dule engine boat) It ran CW (looking at the flywheel) or reverse rotation of a normal engine. I have engines but would need items like, cam, cam gears, starter,& distributer. I would be interested in anything to do with this engine (from parts to blown up engines) Well if you can shed some light on this, let me know. Thanks, Burt"

"Hey John, Thanks for the info

"Hey John, Thanks for the info. Gray marine stoped using this engine in the sixties, but it is worth a shot. Maybe they have what I need in some forgotten back room. I will give it a try. Burt"

"Burt,
I would give you the

"Burt,
I would give you the same info that John did. I phoned GrayMarine INC. and they had ALL the parts I needed for my AMC 327 cu/in GrayMarine 225C (counter clockwise also) Talk to a guy named KIM. Nice people and will bend over backwards to help you out. It is actually an automobile repair shop in St Charles IL. and they bought out the GrayMarine inventory, name and rights. They hauled several semi truck loads of OEM parts to their pole building from Oskosch, WI. and are probably still in the process of inventory and cataloging. Once you establish contact you can email them. They take M/C Visa etc.
If your engine is the one I am thinking of it was also used by OMC during those years for their I/O's.
Hope this helps.
Cal"

i have a 17' dorrset elray

i have a 17' dorrset elray with a buick 215 with a muncie gear works stern drive looking for info

Back