Logo

Help identifying motor

C

Chris M

I have inherited an old Johns

I have inherited an old Johnson Sea Horse 10 from my late grandfather... I am thinking about Restoring it... Does anyone know how to identify what year it is... I'm guessing 60's
thank you in advance

"Chris.... You'll find a p

"Chris.... You'll find a plate on the engine that has the Model Number and Serial Number imprinted on it. Get the "Model Number" to us and we'll pinpoint exactly what you have there.

Joe
"

" Joe ... Thank you for the

" Joe ... Thank you for the quick response... The model # is QD 21 ...possibly OD 21 ... it's a little tough to read.
Thanks again,
Chris "

"Chris.... The Model Number of

"Chris.... The Model Number of QD21 indicates that your engine is a 1960 10hp Johnson. I may have parts left in stock for it. Should you require any, contact me via my e-mail address.

Joe
"

" Hey Joe,
Thank you for help

" Hey Joe,
Thank you for helping me to id my motor. Now the fun stuff(please bear with me for I have only worked on automobiles never small engines). I started by changing the spark plugs, fuel line and primer bulb, and intake fuel line in the motor. It started after 2 pulls(unbelievable) however it is pretty smokey and very tempermental at idle. i am using a barrel to run it in and it looks like the water is getting very "milky" .When the motor stalls I give a couple squeezes to the bulb and it fires right back up.
I beleive the carb was rebuilt a few years ago but the float was not replaced.
any suggestions on what i should do next would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Chris
P.S this site is great.. so much advice!!! "

"Chetzy... I assume you've

"Chetzy... I assume you've checked the compression and ignition. If not, it would be a good idea to do so. Compression should be up around 80/100 lbs and even on both cyls. Spark (with the s/plugs out) should jump a 1/4" gap on both cyls.

NOTE.... Use a 50/1 fuel/oil mixture. One (1) pint of 50/1 oil to six (6) gallons of gas.

If there are any fuel leaks at the fuel connectors, tank, etc, the fuel pump will draw air. Keep that in mind. The carburetor, if it's been sitting for (by what you said) a year or more, I'd strongly suggest that you clean and rebuild the carb. However, since it does run right now, you might try adjusting the carb needle valves.

If memory serves me right, that engine has adjustable high and slow speed needle valves. Gently turn both of them in until they seat, then back out the high speed needle (the bottom one) one (1) full turn, then back out the slow speed needle (top one) one and a half (1-1/2) turns.

I know you can't hold the engine at full throttle in gear in a barrel but you'll need to hit full throttle at various times to obtain a accurate setting. At full throttle, turn the high speed needle in until you hit a point whereas the engine starts to die out.... then back it out approx 1/4 turn to its smoothest setting. The final setting is usually about one half turn out but it does vary.

Now, out of gear, in neutral, slow down to where the engine will just stay runing. Start turning the slow speed needle inwards in 1/8 turn segments, waiting each time a few seconds for the engine to respond.... the rpms will increase. Again lower the rpms to a just stay running setting and continue the 1/8 turn procedure until the engine either starts to die out or spits back like a mild backfire. At that point, back that s/s needle out approx 1/4 turn to its smoothest setting. Hopefully all is well. Let me know.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

I would not mix this motor at

I would not mix this motor at 50:1 since it was designed for 32:1 or maybe even 20:1. I always thoght the older engines were at a lower ratio because that is what was available lube at the time. But I don't believe that to be the case. I have a 10hp evinrude Jubilee model year and it requires 32:1. The top end bearing is just a bushing. It is not a needle bearing like the newer motors. It needs the extra oil. I run mine at 32:1 with absolutely no plug fowling and idles down nice and slow. It would be a very expensive mistake to cause that top end bearing to fail due to lack of oil. Mine was clattering about 10 years ago and I found this bushing had elongated. I could not find a part anywhere so I made one from brass on a metal lathe. It is still going strong. Oh and I would put a tuneup kit into it. The condensers age. Look for cracks in the coils insulation also. I had both of mine crack from the heat after prolonged lack of use prior to my acquiring it. I had to replace them.

" hi guys, I'm looking for

" hi guys, I'm looking for info on an inherited johnson Seahorse 2 outboard moter,specifically the fuel-oil ratio. Can you help ??? thanks in advance. Mike "

" hi guys, I'm looking for

" hi guys, I'm looking for info on an inherited johnson Seahorse 2 outboard moter,specifically the fuel-oil ratio. Can you help ??? thanks in advance. Mike "

" looking for price of pistons

" looking for price of pistons, rigs alone and gasket kit for a Johnson V4 90 Hp, model J90Tlcos, serial J6121124

thanks

A. De Vidts "

I have come across an older j

I have come across an older johnson out board and
I am curoius what size and year it is. How do I
tell what year it is. It is a 4 cylinder probably
the early 70's.
Thanks
John

Back