Logo

Carb overflowing Ibm drowning 78 John 140

royboy

Contributing Member
Rebuilt both carbs with new ki

Rebuilt both carbs with new kits in both. After initial startup the lower carb overflows badly. We took it apart three times and can't find the cause. Float is level and the entire carb is clean with no trash. It pumps up ok but then overflows just after startup. What did I miss ?
I even put the old needle and seat in the last time but still overflowing.

"Assuming that you do not have

"Assuming that you do not have the float installed upside down and the nylon washer is installed under the needle valve seat (if required), redo the floats as follows.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked."

"Joe,
I followed the instruc

"Joe,
I followed the instructions that came with the rebuild kit as to making the float level with the carb base when inverted. When I get chance I will do as you suggest and adjust to raise the float end slightly. The float is in right side up as the drop tang is facing the brass seat.

Thanks
Roy"

Back