Logo

Switching back to VRO

samsneed

"I have been running my 1986 4

"I have been running my 1986 40hp Johnson by manually mixing the oil with the fuel. I am switching to back the VRO. I have a new oil tank, how do I hook this up, and what other things do I need to do to make sure that my motor runs properly."

"If the VRO is still there, in

"If the VRO is still there, install Your tank, fill with oil, pump oil until it flows out of the hose and connect it to the VRO. You may want to check the alarm system first.
Connect the cable plug from the VRO to engine cable harness and start the engine WITHOUT oil hose conneccted. (Run 2% oil in fuel). The alarm should go off, short beep every 2 sec. If alarm works, continue as above. When connected and started, make a oil level mark outside of the oil tank, tape, marker pen etc and keep running at 1% oil mix in fuel until You are certain the engine takes oil from the tank."

"Thanks for the info, I will m

"Thanks for the info, I will most likely do it at the end of the season, I will let you know how it works.
Thanks again"

"On a side note, is it worth t

"On a side note, is it worth the risk of having the convenience of the vro connected at the expense of possibly blowing a powerhead? Not trying to stop you from doing this, but I was just personally curious myself, because it would be nice not to have to premix for my twins."

Most powerhead damages is from

Most powerhead damages is from 'lean burning' which is lack of fuel (and indirectly oil). I have never seen a broken engine caused by VRO not given oil except if oil lines have been cracked or filter in tank clogged. Lack of fuel (oil) will have the same effect premixed or by the VRO.

I can understand that perfectl

I can understand that perfectly. So the question are there so many people who disconnected the vro in fear that the vro will blow the powerhead? And how can one make sure that the engine is not running lean or as you put it "lean burning"?

"This may only be speculations

"This may only be speculations, and perhaps somebody may be 'hurt', but I think the main reason people disconnect the VRO is lack of knowledge of how the VRO works, lack of competance in repairing it, more profit for dealers to sell a new rather than rebuild. As for 'lean burning' there are quite a few signs as warning.
Crank case combustion: Engine 'bumps' now and then on idling and stops.
Lack of top end power: Nothing happends at the top end when more power is given.
Spark plugs: Spark plugs are whitish or wet (but still fireing).
I may go on, but theese are the main 'warnings'.
The main warning however for a two-stroke engine: If it does not idle smooth when settings are according to factory specs, correct the failure. The more You keep on testing and re-adjust out of specs, the bigger is the risk of major breakdown. Any major breakdown of pistons should automaticly result in a fuel system rebuild/check. The pistons are normally the ones who suffer, but the culprit is very often in the fuel system somewhere, hot seizure excluded."

Back