Logo

Removing the Prop before using Engine Tuner

optsyeagle

Regular Contributor
I acquired some Johnson/Evinru

I acquired some Johnson/Evinrude "Engine Tuner" and the can states that one should remove the propeller before using it.

Any idea why they want the prop. removed and is it easy to do?

"Never removed the prop, how c

"Never removed the prop, how can You run it out under load after "waiting' time? There is no idea just to run it unloaded at idle."

"The directions on the can see

"The directions on the can seems to want to run the engine in idle.

The way it reads is: Step 1: Safety Warning: Remove Propeller, Step 2: Bring engine to normal operating temp. Step 3: Set motor at fast idle. Step 4: Spray can contents into carburetor throats. Step 5: Do not let motor stall until can is empty. Step 6: When can is empty turn off motor for 3 to 16 hours. Step 7: Re-start motor and and run at fast idle for at least 15 minutes.

They call the removal of the prop a safety warning. I don't understand this myself."

"They don't want you sling

"They don't want you slinging that gooey stuff all over every thing.
lol.gif
"

Its kinda like one of those de

Its kinda like one of those deals where you don't go in the water until you learn to swim. They are afraid you will put it in gear on muffs and hit you body parts on the rotating prop.

You know double edge sword theory. They know you are not suppose to run it without the prop but for insurance reasons the warning is put on the container.

"Note that the same size of ca

"Note that the same size of can is sold to all engines 3 - 250Hp. Filling the whole can into a 9.9 might be a problem! The best effect You get by running the engine hot (at sea or in test tank), get around 1/3-1/2 of the can into the engine (until it really smokes in the exhaust). Shut off the engine and wait at least 1/2 hour, preferrably longer. Then start, put in gear and give throtle up to around 1/2, or when engine runns a bit rough. As it smoothes out, encrease throtle up to full and run for 5 minutes. Repeat the process once more.
It may not be too popular or leagal doing this on a lake/ river, but atleast do not perform it in Your driveway! (Oil/soot all ower!)"

"I think you guys were right a

"I think you guys were right again. I called Bombardier (owner of Evin./Johnson) and asked them why they want the prop. taken off to use their engine tuner. The guy on the phone said that it was in case one accidently put it in gear and was hit by the propeller. I think it is a kind of "cover your *ss" kind of step to reduce lawsuits.

Anyways, thanks a lot for all your help."

Michael it does work and so do

Michael it does work and so does sea foam just as good and deep creep made by sea foam

Back