Logo

Engine water temp alarm for AQ130C

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
"I have asked this question on

"I have asked this question on a few other boating forums and never did get a lot of replies, so I thought I would check here to see if anyone has any good suggestions.

I'd like to install an engine water temperature alarm on my AQ130C engine. I get tired of constantly keeping an eye on the temperature guage and I am always nervous if my girlfriend drives the boat wondering if she is keeping a good eye on it.

Someone on another forum suggested this one:

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/12-M40177BP.htm

Any other suggestions?

The problem I see with that one and any other one for that matter is how to install the sender unit. Someone suggested that I would need to drill a new hole in the engine near the existing water temp. sender and tap it to match the sender for the alarm. But drilling into cast iron and then tapping the hole is not something I want to do myself. Someone else suggested installing a tee in the existing sender's hole and attaching both senders to it, but I am not sure how accurate the readings would now be since the senders would both be further from the engine water.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!"

That looks excellent as long a

That looks excellent as long as my sender will work with it. I have the OEM temperature gauge (circa 1972) so I have to wonder if it will be compatible with that sender.

"Worst case scenario, you can

"Worst case scenario, you can always purchase a generic sender compatible with the unit, they are not expensive. In the end, you will be a bit lighter in your wallet but you will have peace of mind.
biggrin.gif
"

"Actually under the first link

"Actually under the first link you had in there I would be willing to bet that the sending unit you currently have installed would work with the alarms. Might be worth contacting the companies and finding out but willing to bet you only need the actual alarm piece. They usually work by once the electrical output of the sender reaches a certain level, they trigger the alarm. Probably just wire it in series with current temp guage."

Back