Logo

Flywheel removal on 93 Evinrude 90HP

bronx68

How do I remove the flywheel o

How do I remove the flywheel on a model number VE90TLETS (1993 90HP) engine? Also is it key to go back in the rotational position? How critical is this?

"It has a key...Loosen the nut

"It has a key...Loosen the nut that holds the flywheel on, up to the top of the shaft and then give the top of the shaft a good wack with a hammer, while prying up on the flywheel..."

"If You want to kill the cranc

"If You want to kill the cranck shaft and flywheel, follow Jessie James adwise! If You want to do it the right way, by a flywheel puller. Unscrew the nut, tighten down the 3 screws for the puller, tighten the center puller bolt and the apply a short hard knock on the bolt!"

I want to do it the right way.

I want to do it the right way. Where can I buy the wheel puller? Also is the flywheel keyed or do I need to some how get it back in the right rotational position (for magnet timing to coils) when putting it back?

"As a former dealer I bought m

"As a former dealer I bought my tools from OMC/Bombardier, but You may probably be able to get a 'universal' one from a tool store. Just watch out for the fastening screws. If You are lucky, Joe may 'drop by' with furter info on screw specs."

"PS:
I forgot, but the flywhe

"PS:
I forgot, but the flywheel is locked by a key, no problem to reinstall. Just clean the cone at the cranck shaft and taper in the wheel with solution before assembly."

"Gee...30 Years of doing it th

"Gee...30 Years of doing it the way I mentioned, never killed a crank yet.."

"I wonder why the flywheel pul

"I wonder why the flywheel puller was invented
question.gif
"

"Agreed but not necessary to p

"Agreed but not necessary to pull the flywheel...Like any other tool, it is designed to make it easier or for people with bad aim..
Why was the wheel invented ???"

What a moron. I hate to think

What a moron. I hate to think that person is working in a repair shop. I wonder why all these special tools were invented when all you need is a adjustable wrench and a big hammer.

Sorry you feel that way...Why

Sorry you feel that way...Why sould you go out and buy a "special" tool everytime you want to do something if it is not needed...
I guess there a lot of people who have no common sence...

"BTW...My experience is 30&#43

"BTW...My experience is 30+ years of working on outboards as a hobby...Mostly on my own and I would not risk breaking my own motor if I thought I was doing damage to it..I do, however, repair outboards that some repair shops can't....
Never had a complaint yet"

"Oh my,do I ever feel stupid a

"Oh my,do I ever feel stupid and ripped off now. I spent 40 years going to factory schools and bought 30 something thousand dollars worth of special tools and equipment over the years and all I really needed was oommon sence. Oh and a adjustable wrench and big hammer of course. Good aim as well I suppose."

"I am sorry if I made you feel

"I am sorry if I made you feel so stupid...I have known and met a few so called, "factory trained" mechanics who have no common sence. I am sorry if you are one of them....I guess you did waste your money...
I have noticed, on this forum, how to rig up a spark tester.. I guess they are morons too, when you can buy a spark tester at your local parts store.."

"I don't see how this conv

"I don't see how this conversation is helping a person that is asking advice...Ray...go to any NAPA,CAR QUEST, ADVANCE AUTO PARTS. and get a three leg puller...they don't cost but just a few bucks, and you can use it for many different things..Should come with a selection of bolts, both standard and SAE(fine thread). The holes in the flywheel are SAE, so be sure to use the right bolts...Then do it the way Mr. Ringvold stated....He has given some excellent advice to people on here, and seems to know what he is doing...Get the puller...."

Back