Logo

OMC carb cleaner

chuck

" I have a 1989 200 johnson. T

" I have a 1989 200 johnson. The motor hasn't been run in over a year. The gas in the tank is over a year old. I started it up and it was hard to start. It finely started to run on 2 or 3 cly then picked up to all 6. It ran for 2-3min then started to drop cly. then quit. I pulled the plugs and they were fouled. I cleaned them and it ran good for1 min, then shut down. Ok I figure the gas {35gal} is bad so i'll drain the tank and use fresh gas. My question is do I need to clean the tank and how, and the carbs would they need cleaning too. I heard OMC makes a cleaner that hooks to the fule line to clean the carbs while the motor is running. Thanks Chuck "

"Chuck.... Forget about hookin

"Chuck.... Forget about hooking up something to the engine to clean the carbs while it's running as that simply doesn't work. Remove the carbs, clean them, and install complete carburetor kits. Pay particular attention to the high speed jets that are located in the bottom of the float chambers.

The old gas? If that gas still smells like gas, use it. If it's stale, there will be no question about it as that smell will make a skunk head for the hills.

When an outboard sits for a couple months, the carbs will foul.... so with a years sitting time, there's no question about the carbs being the source of your problem.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe I didn't want

" Thanks Joe I didn't want to here that, but I kind of new that's what had to be done. When I take them apart should i dunk them in carb cleaner and let them soak then blow dry with air. Thanks Chuck "

"Chuck.... I'm assuming th

"Chuck.... I'm assuming that you have a "Loop Charged" engine that has 6 plastic like carburetors. If so, DO NOT submerge them in any carburetor cleaner. Dismantle them completely, removing all of the jets (high speed, low speed, and intermediate speed). When dismantled, you can put all of the metal items in a small container and dunk them overnight though.

Not meaning to insult your intelligence, but make notes as to what jets go where (there's numbers on them)as well as the hose routing and various linkages (some boaters take polaroid pictures before dismantling). Use a fine wire to go through the small brass tubes. Good luck.

Joe
"

" Joe sounds good,I do have th

" Joe sounds good,I do have the plastic carbs. Glad I asked.I'll give it a try. Thanks Chuck "

"looking for a late model used

"looking for a late model used lower unit. 150 hp. yamaha duo-prop. off a v-max series. to be straped on my 200 hp. e-mail [email protected] thanks norm."

Back