Logo

LARGE TRANSOM SEAL 22 HOLE REPLACEMENT

S

searayjohn

i just purchased a rubber gask

i just purchased a rubber gasket to replace the cracked on on my 1981 sea ray - omc 800

does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it on. i was told to use soapy water and slip it on. i dont wat to damage it.

thanks in advance

"Been many years since I'v

"Been many years since I've changed one of these but normally you remove the outdrive first. With the outdrive off I would make a reference mark on the retainer ring and the transom for lining up screw holes the proceed to remove the retainer ring screws. Now use a putty knife to break the silicone seal between the gasket and the the transom. Remove the retainer ring from the gasket then pull the gasket back to access the large hose style clamp holding it to the intermediate housing. Loosen the clamp enough to push it out of the way then pull the gasket off the intermediate housing. With the old gasket off scrape and clean all old silicone from the transom. Only slight stretching is needed to put the new gasket onto the intermediate housing. Slide the large clamp into place and very lightly snug it up. Install the retainer ring into the gasket, adjust the gasket and retainer ring to line up your retainer ring and gasket with the reference mark you made earlier so the screw holes line up in the transom. Next tighen up the large hose style clamp and inspect to ensure it is a uniform and snug fit aroung your housing. Now loosely install the retainer ring screws, apply and quarter inch bead of silicone between the gasket and the transom the tighten the retainer ring screws. Wipe off any excess silicone. As it is curing reinstall your outdrive and you are done."

"Mike, I appreciate your tutor

"Mike, I appreciate your tutorial - I also am about to replace my transom seal (on my 1966 OMC sterndrive, with the square transom seal).

One question - others have recommended "5200 Sealant" by 3M, but you speak of using silicone. Is there any reason to use one rather than the other?

Thanks!"

"The only thing I used when I

"The only thing I used when I did that job was OMC Sealing Compound! Silicone is the worst, it starts leaking. Remember to clean the transom properly before assembly of the seal! And if You have to change the screws, do NOT go to the hardware store and by new, the aluminum ring will disappear in no time. Clean the ring and give it some coats with two component epoxy primer."

"Morten, thanks for the pointe

"Morten, thanks for the pointers about the screws and coating the ring. I would never have considered it.

If I end up needing screws then, what specifically do I look for? (Stainless won't work?)"

"If You may get them in a &#39

"If You may get them in a 'neutral' alloy like 'Monel' (used for rivets in sailingboat masts), that is ok, but otherwise the original.SST may 'eat' the ring, but if properly primed and thin nylon washers may help."

"Ok, thanks Morten. It looks l

"Ok, thanks Morten. It looks like all the original screws are still there, I won't need to hunt down any monel screws.

I didn't know there was such a thing. Now I do..."

"The reason the original '

"The reason the original 'SST' screws are so expencive on the drive. Try to replace them with hardware standard, and You will see what happends! No need for loc tite at least, just dip them in salt water befor installing! NB: Please do not follow that advice!"

I have the new gasket and was

I have the new gasket and was just informed that it will be up to $240.00 to remove the outdrive and swap out the new rubber ring. I think I may be able to do all of this - but need some help with decoupling the outdirve to slip the rubber ring on.

any suggestions?

thanks everyone.

"The most tricky is to get out

"The most tricky is to get out the shift cable, but here we go!
Take off the cover on the shift cable bracket close to the transom.
Push INN the rubber part of the cable further into the bracket and lock it with the pin through the hole at the end. Then unhook the cables, take out the pin and release the spring underneath. You should now be able to pull out the cable with the brass fitting at the end. Take off the brass fitting.
Now comes the tricky part, and that is to pull the cable out through the transom without destroying it. First take off the retainer on the outside (iff still there) securing the cable, and pull the cable out. It may be easier if the drive is off the transom a bit to get room for Your hands!
Note that if the cable in any way gets dammaged or rubber part shortened it must be replaced.
To get it off the transom:
It may make it a bit easier if tilted up some 20Degrees.
Put a support under the fin.
Take off the side water covers.
Pry out the side rubber stoppers and uncrew the two bolts on each side. It should now be possible to lift the drive off the tilt gear-cam.if You tilted high enough. Otherwise take out the 3 bolts holding the cam. These bolts are loc-tited and may be tough to get out!
Good Luck!"

i have a 1969 20 ft deckboat m

i have a 1969 20 ft deckboat made by the deckboat corp/ it has a chevy 2 120 hp with old omc outdrive. transom seal is completely round with 12 holes on perimeter i'm gonna change the rubber seal myself. any suggestions or procedures please. i have seal and 3m adhesive for the job. will i have any problems if i remove lower unit first? thanks in advance glenn

"Glenn,

Some of these can b

"Glenn,

Some of these can be done without removing the outdrive. If I recall, you can remove the moon gear which should allow enough room to get the boot over and up. Keep in mind, there is an UP or TOP mark on the boot which must be... well, up.

If you feel you will damage the new boot, remove the drive. I'm just afraid of what you may encounter trying to remove those 37 year old cap bolts.

Good luck
Rick"

Back