Logo

Gray Marine V8

G

Gary Richardson

"Can anyone help me find out w

"Can anyone help me find out what HP and make this engine is? Model #V8CH195 Ser # Y51138-210. I am in the process of trying to rebuild this motor and would like to find manuals, or type motor. This motor is in a 1963 Marinette.
Thank you for any info."

.."This motor is in a 1963

.."This motor is in a 1963 Marinette."

Hey! That's my brand. Is that a Buick 215 aluminum motor?

Jeff

GARY

THE ENGINE IS A 327 AM

GARY

THE ENGINE IS A 327 AMC HIGH PROFILE STD.CARBURETION: ROCHESTER 2BDL. DOWN DRAFT
220 HP. @ 4400 RPM

JOHN

"Groan! Another oddball. Time

"Groan! Another oddball. Time to repower with something more modern. You can get internal parts for those from egge.com, but manifolds will be tough.

Jeff"

"It may be "good", Joh

"It may be "good", John, but it's still an oddball!

Jeff (former Hudson owner)

PS: I run Chryslers in mine, and they too are getting hard to get parts for. The bottom line: If it ain't a Chevy, you're running an oddball."

Thank you to all on helping me

Thank you to all on helping me figure out what I have. I have been sucessfull in the rebuild of this engine and found the parts through a engine rebuilder here in Iowa. Thanks again and this sure is nice to have this forum for rookies like me.

"Graymarine is not an odd ball

"Graymarine is not an odd ball eng I have been working on these motors since the mid sixties they will hold under the marine abuse much longer than a chevy. this the only good thing that AMC did right they started building this motor in 1958 and continued through 1967. I was a marine eng mechanic for 25 yrs and I have seen a lot of Graymarine eng out there. In fact I'm looking for a 188 hp right now with the side draft YH series carter carbs. I'm going to do a conversion in an Allis Chalmers WD tractor for tractor shows. My e-mail is [email protected]
Fred Durbin."

"Can anyone help me find out i

"Can anyone help me find out if there is any speical about my 1963 all aluinum 215 buick V8. It has Gray Marine tag markings, (model V8A160-BT W-3212)on the motor and the boat. Is it a true Marine Motor inside, or just a butch of Marine Parts on it. "Curb, starter, altenater ect"... It is in a 16' 1962 Turbocraft, made by Buehler, Company. I know there history. Standard motor was in a Gray Marine V6 of Dearborn V8. thanks Pastor Mitch}}"

"Nearly all automotive engines

"Nearly all automotive engines are modified for marine use. The 215 Buick had way too high an operating rpm range for marine use, so it was no exception. Also, being an aluminum block motor, it HAD to be FW cooled.

Jeff

PS: I was in love with those motors for 20 years! Put them in all kinds of light vehicles, and they made everyone of them haul ass!"

"Thank you Mr. Fastjeff, I app

"Thank you Mr. Fastjeff, I appreciate your Info. and Quick response. If I understand you right this motor has been modified in the enternal parts. Im sorry beening new to marine termanology My gess "FW", means Force Water cooled, If so I beleive it is. Thanks again, Pastor Mitch."

Re: "Graymarine is not an odd ball

"Graymarine is not an odd ball eng I have been working on these motors since the mid sixties they will hold under the marine abuse much longer than a chevy. this the only good thing that AMC did right they started building this motor in 1958 and continued through 1967. I was a marine eng mechanic for 25 yrs and I have seen a lot of Graymarine eng out there. In fact I'm looking for a 188 hp right now with the side draft YH series carter carbs. I'm going to do a conversion in an Allis Chalmers WD tractor for tractor shows. My e-mail is [email protected]
Fred Durbin."
I have a greymarine fireball 327 in a 66 marinette boat. Just looking for parts and info on it. Runs great other than smokes a little on start ups, but thats all.
As far as i can see on name plate its a :
model v8 195 serial 751 041- 210
Name plate is worn down a faded so thats what I think it says
Any info or help would be great.
Also my mechanic says to just get rid of it and repower with a 350. Did not like that answer he gave me.

Back