Logo

Johnson 140hp float level

royboy

Contributing Member
How do I correctly set the flo

How do I correctly set the float level on the carbs for a 1978 140hp engine. They both overflow and I have new rebuild kits on the way. I don't believe they contain new floats so I am going to have to work with the old ones which look to be in good shape.
With the carb upside down they appear to be about level but I don't know what the correct measurement should be.

Thanks

"Every rebuild kit I have purc

"Every rebuild kit I have purchased for Johnson OB's has come with new needles and floats. I have always bought my kits from the dealer.

The floats should be set just slightly above level on the end opposite the hinge pin. I don't know of an exact measurement, it's more of an eyeball thing.

KJ"

Just received the kits and the

Just received the kits and there are no floats in these kits. I haven't opened them yet but looks like there's a float gauge of some sorts in the bag. Hope it has directions!

"(Carburetor Float Setting

"(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked."

Back