Logo

270 clutch rebuild

stidman

"I'm working on a runabout

"I'm working on a runabout for an elderly friend. Has problem with a 270 outdrive. AQ130C motor runs fine, prop does not turn. Shop says cone clutch needs rebuild. Is this something that can be fixed by a good shade tree mechanic with the Seloc manual? Or is this a job for the Shop? I'm a good auto mechanic, but this is the first major boat repair I'd be atempting. Please advise!"

I would like to 'hear'

I would like to 'hear' the reson for 'rebuilding' the clutch cone. If it is not totally burned out it is normally enough to'match' it to the gear cones with some valve-grinding paste. What is just as important is to get the vertical shaft play correct and shift fork play adjusted.

"Thanks for your advice. So th

"Thanks for your advice. So that is not common for the clutch to go bad? The boat "started to slip a bit, then got worse, and then it wouldn't turn the propeller." is what I was told by the owner. Does that sound like a clutch, or maybe something else? I don't want to sound stupid, I'm just new at this."

Could it be that the shift cab

Could it be that the shift cable is not connected to the shift mechanism?

"It may be several reasons, bu

"It may be several reasons, but to find the cause the drive upper unit should probably be dismantled and checked. A manual helps You a long way, the rest we may do here on the board.
It is one of the most simple operations to do. The drive, atleast upper unit must off, which gives You possibilities to check bellows, water inntake, shaft, and u-joint."

Back