Logo

Car block vs Marine block

C

craig6

"Can you replace a marine GM 3

"Can you replace a marine GM 350 block with a automotive 350 block? I understand the intake, heads, etc are different, can the basic block be swapped succesfully?"

Craig.
It is best to use a 4

Craig.
It is best to use a 4 bolt main block for a boat.
These are hard to find from a car or truck these days. Ones that are any good that is.
But yes a automotive block will work. You just need everything else from the marine engine to put in it.

"Many 350's on the water d

"Many 350's on the water do not have 4 bolt mains. I have a 1983 and noticed it was not a 4 bolt. Don't get me wrong, I wish it was but it works fine. Basically the auto is fine, just change the freeze plugs out to brass. Also, I believe you want marine head gaskets."

"2 bolt blocks is no problem u

"2 bolt blocks is no problem up to around 260Hp
which is mostly what You get out of the standard intakes and 4bbl carbs. Remmber to switch the camshaft. The 'marine' valve stems are normally 3 OD of car engines(non vortec) and springs are harder to handle the revs so change of heads are advisable. Running 2BBL and a bit rich may work, but no good for idling! Do not forget the core (freeze) plugs - non corrosive. Brass plugs are easier to get to seal, sst a bit more resistant if overheating the block!"

"PS: Forgot the camshaft. Runn

"PS: Forgot the camshaft. Running car heads and springs, stay with the car cam, but it will only give 180 - 200 hp depending on carb and stop the revs at 3800-4000."

Back