Logo

Merc 98 how do I get the front cover of the crankcase off

davey_fl

"So I've got my balancer o

"So I've got my balancer off, piston cover, head etc. I can't get to the two lower screws on the crank cover - they're WAY down there and set into the cover a bit. Am I supposed to remove the engine first from the lower? any guidance would be great!"

"Yes remove the powerhead! It&

"Yes remove the powerhead! It's fairly easy, only 6 nuts below the adapter plate and it will lift out. It's so much easier to work on a bench. You will need a new gasket though. BTW- why are you going inside the case? What year is your motor?"

"thank you for the response. T

"thank you for the response. The engine is cira 70s (not sure exactly - is there a tag somewhere??) and it was submerged (salt water). I'm going to rip it down and see if we can rebuild, even if that requires new crank etc. Can you tell me where to locate the 6 nuts below the adapter plate? do I have to pull off the bottom housing to get to these?

thanks in advance. I've tried to find a teardown manual to no avail...

david
23346.jpg
"

Look at the transom bracket fo

Look at the transom bracket for the serial no. and I can tell you the year. The cowl below the adapter plate ( the one with the pee-hole hose attachment) comes off with 4 phillips screws. Best to lay motor on its side to see better.6 nuts- 7/16 wrench and small socket will do the job.

Also you must remove the large

Also you must remove the large bolt shown in your pic. That holds the center bearing carrier in place. Did you compression test the cylinders before you opened it up? I would advise it.

"perfect thanks. wow that made

"perfect thanks. wow that made it easy. Now onto the difficult stuff. It's pretty rusty. I couldn't do a compression test as it wouldn't turn over, and down below you'll see why. This is really unfortunate as this engine ran beautifully and had scads of power. My question is, is it worth continuing? I worked in a machine shop once and we cleaned up some pretty bad pieces but tanking, glass beading, grinding and polishing - I'm just not sure about boat motors. Would appreciate a more educated opinion. Thanks.
23373.jpg
23374.jpg
23375.jpg
23376.jpg
23377.jpg
"

My humble opinion: It'll c

My humble opinion: It'll cost more to bring the motor back to life than it will to by another used one (I've seen many 9.8s in the 200-400 range)

Back