Logo

60 esl 70d blowing alot of blue smoke

M

mike4

i dont know if i have the plug

i dont know if i have the plugs gapped right or not. not sure what it should be either. since i changed the plugs it has been doing this and after a short while the plugs are fouled and it wont start. i know there are some carb adjustments but i dont know how to change them. any one that can give me a quick lesson and the plug gap i would appreciate it

Mike .
If it started doing

Mike .
If it started doing this after you installed new plugs are you sure you have the correct plugs?
They may be to cold of a plug for the engine. Make sure the number is correct for the engine. A plug with a number that is close is not the same.
The number must match unless you know a hotter or colder plug is needed for some reason. Such as sustained high speed use or long period's spent idleing.
Check oil / fuel mix.

"i used the same plugs i took

"i used the same plugs i took out. i gapped them to 30. i dont know how to check the oil fuel mix or i would. if you or someone else can tell me how this is done i would be glad to do it. also to make sure i am using the correct plugs, which ones are they?"

What year is the engine? Does

What year is the engine? Does it have oil injection?(oil goes in its own tank)
Mike if you are going to work on this boat it would be a very good thing to get the service manual for it.
These manuals can be found at several places on line including this site.
I understand people wanting to do thier own repairs with what it cost for labor. But I do not understand why a lot that do thier own repairs will not buy a manual.
Just about all the information you will ever need is in a good service manual for about 40 bucks.

i will buy a manual but i was

i will buy a manual but i was checking here first as do alot of other people. thats why i assume its here. the motor is a 1970 60esl70d. if i have to buy a manual i will but i was just checking here for some info. i dont mean to sound rude but it seems every question i ask gets the same answer here....buy a manual...thanks anyway

"A 1970 Evinrude 60 HP--the Se

"A 1970 Evinrude 60 HP--the Seloc and Clymer line of manuals covers motors in a specific period of time and specific sizes. I.e.--"Seloc Johnson/Evinrude outboards 1956-70 Repair manual. Covers all 1.5 to 40 HP, 1 and 2 cylinder two stroke models".
Go back to the page where all the posts are listed. There are two colums there labled "posts" and "pages"--just above that is a link for "Johnson Evinrude OEM...." Click on that and enter your motors details in the search boxes that appear. This will give you a list of manuals. You can also search for Seloc or Clymer manuals on the web with any search engine."

"Mike.
I think that at times

"Mike.
I think that at times people feel that they may do less for someone by giving them part of what they need to know.
This is why most will say buy the manual.
At least that is how I feel about it.
It wasn't that I didn't want to give you the information you requested,I didn't have it handy.
Plus I've had people change things to the point the engine would not run at all. Just because they had no idea of what did what but change things anyway in a effort to make the engine run.
Kind of like you did with the spark plugs. You changed the gap but had no idea of what they needed to be set at. Doing something like that could damage the ignition system. Then you have more problems than you started with. Having part of the information you needed like the plug gap only, you may have tried something else if that didn't work and screwed up another part of the engine. There are several things that can cause your type of problem. There is a starting point and order in which to check these things.
If you have a manual you can understand what could be the problem instead of just changing things.
I do not think anyone is trying to be mean or not helpful to you by not giving you information. From what I have seen everyone on this site is only here to help anyone that needs it the best they can.
I hope you understand this."

plugs were gapped correctly i

plugs were gapped correctly i just wanted to confirm. i will just buy the manual. i can handle basic repair which is probably what this is. motor starts and runs fine but fouls the plugs. running to rich just like a car i would assume. high and low idle would probably be a good place to start. fuel pump is the next place i would go to make sure all connections are good and it is not leaking from the pin hole in the rear. replace or change bladder if necessary. from there i would check an possibly clean the carbs. thanks to the other member who emailed me with this info. i will check these things and get the manual and go from there. just looking to check the obvious before i get my hands to dirty

"Blue smoke and fouled plugs s

"Blue smoke and fouled plugs sounds like too much oil in the gas or plugs that dont get hot enough to burn the mixture completely--not a carb adjustment--but, I could be wrong. just my two cents.

tom"

i was using pre mix 50:1 purch

i was using pre mix 50:1 purchased at the local marina. the plugs were replaced with the exact ones that came out of it. any idea if you can tell me what plugs are recommended by manufacturer. maybe these arent the right ones afterall. like i said i dealt with the local marina and this is the info they gave me

"My guess is that even though

"My guess is that even though it is labled "50-1" it is actually 32 oz--
if you are adding all of it to six gallons of gas, you have twice as much as you need--16 oz of oil to 6 gallons of gas is a 50-1 ratio. The quart bottle of 50-1 lets you make two, six gallon mixes. The oil probably ought to be rared as NMMA TC-W2 or TC-W3. In a 50-1 ratio, there are actually 2.6 oz of oil in each gallon of gas. If you have the right mixture than its probably not the fuel thats causing the probem. Hope this is helpful. t"

"I suggest You stay by the ori

"I suggest You stay by the original 'Champion' plugs.Check with your local marina what kind of oil they use, and try to mix youself next time. (2% TCW-2 or TCW-3) 2 is for fuel mix only, 3 is for both mix and seperate oil tank)."

so if i understand correctly t

so if i understand correctly the pre mix has to much oil in it. i have never had this problem when i mix myself. to much oil means blue smoke and fouled plugs which caused problems starting and lack of powre due to bad plugs.......correct?

"And while you have the plugs

"And while you have the plugs out, why not run a compression check? This might also give you some insight into the problem."

"Okay--now Im really confused-

"Okay--now Im really confused--I assumed you were talking about buying a quart of 50:1 oil off a shelf--now I suspect you are talking about buying premixed fuel at a marina--I missed the part where you said you never had the problem when you mixed it yourself--maybe the marina messed up--try going back to mixing it yourself and see what happens--
you are right, too much oil can produce blue smoke and fouled plugs. Keep in mind that these are two cycle motors so they will produce some smoke because they do burn the oil that is in the fuel mixture. But it shouldnt be any worse than your weedwacker or chain saw."

let me start at the beginning

let me start at the beginning and go from there. motor ran great all summer long. my son and i were cleaning the boat and he was power washing it. he washed everything including the gas can which i didnt find out until later. it is my best guess that water got into the tank because this is when some of the problems seemed to begin. i changed the gas and the plugs and it seemed ok. we took the boat on vacation and ran the 50-1 premix purchased at the pump. again all was well until it wouldnt start after sitting for a couple of hours. i pulled the plugs and replaced them with new and it fired right up and ran great all day and even the next. after sitting over night it wouldnt start. i finally got it going and it seemed ok but not great. i did notice excess blue smoke and i assume this is fouling the plugs. its all 3 plugs not just one or 2. possible bad mix or running to rich. maybe a bad fuel pump? i am sure there can be many factors but i am just trying to do what i can before i take it in and spend the big bucks....

if there is water i assume it

if there is water i assume it wont find its way out by itself. if i drain the float chamber will this aid in removing the water. also should i put anything in the gas to clean up the carbs or remove the plugs and spray some wd40 into the plug holes

"Dump the fuel out,clean the t

"Dump the fuel out,clean the tank,make sure no water is left in the tank. Fill the tank at the service station and add 16oz of outboard motor oil TCW3(6 gallon tank). Remove and clean the plugs. This should cure it. If so mix the fuel yourself from now on. It's cheaper than the marina mix anyway."

i will try a new mix myself. m

i will try a new mix myself. my question is if there is water in the carbs should i drain them before i use it again. i dont know if it will work its way out or not

"I doubt this will be a proble

"I doubt this will be a problem. It should clear out. Just make sure the fuel line is cleaned as well.
If you feel there is a lot of water disconnect the fuel line going into the carbs and pump fresh fuel out.
Hook up the line,fill the carbs then disconnect the line from the tank at the engine and run the engine out of fuel at a high idle.(1000-1500rpm) This shoud suck anything left in the carbs out."

PS.
There may be plugs on the

PS.
There may be plugs on the front of the carbs at the base of the float bowl that you can remove to drain the carbs.
7/16? with a screw slot.

would compression be an issue

would compression be an issue since most times it runs great. this may sound stupid but if i hit the throttle and it doesnt get up to speed i put it in reverse for a second or two and then back into forward and it seems fine. i thought it was weeded up but i was in an area with no weeds. i am considering getting a new motor or newer boat and motor all together. cost of repair versus cost of newer motor may may make more dollar sense. i dont think this would run good at all if there was internal damage but i am not a pro either

is it possible i am choking it

is it possible i am choking it to much therefore flooding it and fouling the plugs. is there a certain way to choke an older outboard like this. it has a switch below the key(electric choke)

There could be a manual choke

There could be a manual choke lever on the front of the engine. It would be on the left side as you are facing the engine. Check that it is not on. Most of the time you do not need the choke except when first starting the engine cold. Then just until it fires and maybe a quick hit the first minute until the engine gets a little heat going.

"Try to beg, borrow, or steal

"Try to beg, borrow, or steal a 6 gallon can, hose, and primer attachment with new mix & try that. The more I hear, the more it sounds like the marina fuel was over-mixed with oil."

Back