Logo

No spark on Evinrude 50

P

Phil Roberts

" Recently I experienced no sp

" Recently I experienced no spark. Key switch, kill switch, power pack and stator have been replaced and still no spark at all. This has been a very frustrating problem. Any help would be appreciated. "

"Phil.... You don't say wh

"Phil.... You don't say what year that 50hp is but I'm assuming that it has the solid state ignition that doesn't rely on battery voltage to energize the powerpack. Assuming that, I suggest that you remove the spark plugs, rig up a spark tester that will allow you to see the spark jump a 7/16" gap, then disconnect the main large electrical connector at the engine.... this will eleminate all wiring except what is on the engine. Now crank the engine by using a jumper wire between the battery side of the starter solenoid and the small terminal on the solenoid (not the small ground wire). If you have ignition now, there's a short in the instrument cable, control box, somewhere in that area that's shorting out the system (like turning the key off) between the black wire and the black/yellow wire. If you do not have spark when cranking the engine as above, let me know.

Joe
"

It is a 1994. I've tried

It is a 1994. I've tried your suggestion above and still no spark.

"Phil.... If still no spark af

"Phil.... If still no spark after the above test, the cause is usually a failed powerpack. There's a remote possibility that the stator/charge coil under the flywheel has failed (delivers AC voltage to the p/pack) but I've never seen that happen on the lower hp engines (quite common on the higher hp engines with a 35 amp charging system though). Hopefully you know someone who might loan you a pack that you can try before purchasing one. As I say, that's usually the cause of a problem such as yours, but there's always that one weird thing... a frayed or loose, or corroded black ground wire from the pack, a bare wire from the stator/charge coil laying against the powerhead, things of that nature. Keep us informed.

Joe
"

" I've swapped power pack,

" I've swapped power pack, stator and still no spark. I did notice an open circuit on the black/yellow wire coming from the main wiring harness on the left side of engine. Tested continuity from stator side of the power pack. "

Back