Logo

FUEL GAUGE RUNNING BACKWARDS

intrepid

"Probably a simple fix, and on

"Probably a simple fix, and one that will make me sound like Homer Simpson when someone points it out (DOH!)... I replaced the fuel sending unit in my one of my saddle tanks and hooked everything back up - black and red wire the same as the other tank. When the tank was full the fuel gauge would read E, then work its way up to F as the fuel was burned. Figured I had the wires backwards so I switched them out and still have the same problem. How do I correct this?"

Use a felt pen and turn the F

Use a felt pen and turn the F to a E and black out the bottom - on the E to turn it into a F.
or remove the sender and turn the resistor unit 180 degrees.

Whoa! All the sending unit doe

Whoa! All the sending unit does is increase the ground to the guage which in turn makes the guage read higher.
You have some how reversed this. The sending unit is decreasing the ground as it goes up.
I have no idea of how this could be done other than the sender is in upside down.

"It is the wrong sender. Some

"It is the wrong sender. Some brands of guages, like VDO for instance, read backwards. Double check the guage brand and get the same, or compatible, sender.

Or you can simply do as Kathy suggested.

Good luck

Rick"

The arm inside the tank got fl

The arm inside the tank got flipped up over Top dead center. Wave action can cause this.
some times filling the tank all the way up will correct the problem.

Back