Logo

Carb 101

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
"After seeing an amazing numbe

"After seeing an amazing number of carb related questions, the following thought occurred: Many of these question are both 'simple and obvious' problems--and I NOT trying to be insulting here. The obvious answer is that "fuel injected" car people are now trying to run a carbureted boat, and they haven't a clue as to operate a motor with a carb on it! Hell, if it doesn't start right up, and idle perfectly from a turn of the key, or stalls coming off plane, then they are lost!

What to do, what to do... Being an olde geezer that's messed with cars for over 45 years, I KNOW what a carb can do wrong and how to get the stubborn thing to behave. So, to aid those poor EFI people out there, I'm going to sit down and knock out a "Carburetor 101 Course" (and Andrew can put it inthe upcoming Q & A section). I'll start on it tonight.

Jeff"

Jeff.
Forget it. The people d

Jeff.
Forget it. The people driving EFI cars are buying the new EFI boats and trucks to drag the boats behind. The ones that can't get a handle on the carbs are the ones that can't afford the new EFI models. Old farts like you and me with kids in college and trying to stay out of the poor house at the same time by buying older models. Since we already know everything about anything (just ask someone are age) what is the sense of trying to an old dog new / old tricks? LOL and good luck. Hope it turns out well.

"Actually, it's those youn

"Actually, it's those younger brats that 'know it all', right? Olde geezers like me are still learning!

Jeff"

"There's another limiting

"There's another limiting factor -- the people that ask on these boards are after the quick fix, preferring not to go to fundamentals such as manuals (free-at the library), troubleshooting resources (on various boards, and..... free-at the library), or even theory of operation (free-at the library). At the risk of insulting some, I am amazed sometimes at the lack of common sense (a very small) minority applies."

This ever happen? I'm not

This ever happen? I'm not an old dog but I'm also not a young pup. Just in need of a refresher and how to deal with this marine carb stuff.

Back