Logo

50 amp 120 HP seaking info

pullngo

"Tried posting this in the out

"Tried posting this in the outboard forum for misc. engines, I couldn't get the link to work.

My question is: does anyone know who made, and, what year these motors are?
5.0 HP montgomery wards sea-king model#15GG-9015
12.0 HP " " " " " #35GG-9018A

Thank you in advance for any info.
Carl"

Both were made by GALE MANUFAC

Both were made by GALE MANUFACTURED PRODUCTS.

15GG-9015 is 1951.

35GG-9018A is 1952.

I "believe" they are same as Johnson/Evinrude products of the same years.

"When first established as a d

"When first established as a division of OMC, gale made parts for OMC. Evenually, Gale took obsolete ELTO designs and excess inventory and repackaged them for sale to the chain stores.

This suited the J/E dealers, because the J/E branded products were known as more cutting edge than the store products.

The falling economy in the 50s cause OMC to rethink its strategy and it started allowing Gale to include some more modern designs in its product.

As a result, the Gales started off in the early 40s as very different animals from the J/E designs where throughout the 50s and early 60s, their designs started converging with the J/E models.

E.g. The magneto was commonized first, followed buy the lower unit, and in some cases the powerhead. Carburetion was kept slightly different to lower the Gale h.p. so it wouldn't compete head-to-head with the J/E dealers.

By 1963, Gome gales were nearly identical to J/E, differing only in the trim.
Consequently, you can't draw a hard line and say 'this Gale variant is the same as this J/E model'"

Wow. I had totally forgotten a

Wow. I had totally forgotten about the Gale line. It's been so many years since I've even seen one. Thinking back I don't recall seeing one since I was a kid. That was the late 50s early 60s.
This is bad I can't even remember what they looked like. White and gold or was that the Elgin and the Scott? Didn't they kind of look like the OMC line as far as the shape of the cover with the split half that flipped up in the 50s?
When they sold the to the chain stores they were sold as the store brand weren't they? Like Western Auto and Sears had thier name on them not the Gale name.
This is the only thing that comes to mind about them.
Strange because there were so many of them on the lake back then.
Who ended up with that line? Was it West Bend or did it just go away?
Being in and out of the business over the years I've lost track of some of the little guys.
Chrysler ended up with the West Bend I thought back in the 60s which after a bunch of changes of ownership back and forth is now the tracker line or am I wrong about that?

Wasn't it Homlite that had the first 4 stroke back in about 65? Those guys were way a head of thier time on that one.

Well thanks for taking me back. Haven't been there for awhile.

Thanks for the information.
T

Thanks for the information.
The motors both run very well.
I need to inspect the impellars and housings(haven't done this before on any marine motor).
Not getting flow through the tell-tale tube on either one.
Thanks again...
Carl.

Back