Logo

1968 1969 Chrysler 45hp spun prop

ara

"In another discussion I descr

"In another discussion I described a problem that sometimes my motor will run fine for a while, seems like when it warms up it sounds like it slips out of gear, the prop stops spinning and the engine revs up like it is not in gear. If I let off the throttle a little bit the prop kicks back in and everything is fine. I was told that it could be a spun prop. What does that mean exactly? What do I need to replace or fix to stop this from happening?"

The rubber insert between your

The rubber insert between your prop and brass hub has become unbonded. Under extreme pressure (thrust) it the hub will spin inside the rubber insert. This will get progressively worse. I think I gave you a test to verify.

You can buy a new one or get yours rehubbed at a full service prop shop.

"Yes you did and it has not ac

"Yes you did and it has not actually done it yet, but I have only been out fishing on no wake lakes recently so I have not been able to run it at high speed. I did mark on the outside of the Prop and the Prop nut(whatever that thing is that the cotter pin goes through), this is what I am supposed to mark right? If this is the case then it has already moved about 3/4" from the mark and there is play where I can move the prop nut back and forth about an inch. Or am I supposed to mark it on the inside?"

"If you have that much play in

"If you have that much play in your prop nut, you have a secondary problem. Or are you referring to the rotational play of the prop on the shaft? If you don't have much rotational play, then you can mark the shaft itself. Bottom line is that the symptom you have described is that of a spun prop and no other problem has that symptom. Spend your time looking for a good prop shop."

Back