Logo

Replacing Water Pump

gentt

"I have a 1986 120 HP VRO John

"I have a 1986 120 HP VRO Johnson engine. This engine is new to me. When I attach a flush water collar, no water comes out just below the engine at the muffler. I am assuming it should and therefore need to replace the water pump. How hard is this to do? Can a do-it-yourselfer do this or should I use a mechanic? Any little tricks to this I should know? Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated...."

"The boat and motor are new to

"The boat and motor are new to me, havent had it in the water yet, especially since I don't feel too good about the water pump.... Previous owner said it needed a pump... one person, supposedly in the know, told me it didn't... guess better to be safe than sorry and go ahead and replace...I was just hoping someone could tell me if they get water out of the exhaust when they have a water collar on ... I have had contradicting stories on it."

"Without the motor running, th

"Without the motor running, the water pump isnt going to pump water. The flush collar is not going to make your water pump work so using it as an indicator of a faulty pump is--well--faulty. Its designed to do one thing--flush out the lower unit. Some people use them to test run motors but I find that a bit risky. Others will disagree. I lower my motor into a feed tank full of water and work on it. That way I dont have to take it off the boat. It's a good idea to replace water pump parts, usually the impeller and other degradable pieces like "o" rings, gaskets, seals, etc on a regular basis. There is usually a kit of some kind for each motor out there and any mechanically enclined person can do the job if you have the tools. I would recommend that you get a service manual (available on this site and others) and become familiar with the procedure.You can also get parts through links on this site and others. Plus there is plenty of knowledge and experience on this site."

Back