Logo

Chrysler 15 hp starting problems

clint

"HI all, need some help i have

"HI all, need some help i have purchased an older style Chrysler motor to use as an exilery its a 15 H/P . It ran all right when i test ran it and the next few times but now it has become hard to start. It will start for about 10sec then stop then it will not start with the pull starter .
I made an electric starter using my power drill as i got sick off pulling it,with this it will start after some cranking then runs well and will start every time with one pull when hot. Any help will be great as my arm is about 4 inches longer from all the pulling....Thanks Clint Aust"

"Clint, any time you hit four

"Clint, any time you hit four pulls, stop -- any more are unlikely to help.

Start by determining if you are getting fuel to the cylinders or not. After you've tried 3 or 4 pulls, take the plugs out to see if they're wet. If they are, you have fuel and the likely problem is spark. If they are dry you have a fuel delivery problem -- something is clogged or out of adjustment.

Test each plug by holding it 1/4" away from any metal part on the motor -- you should get a fat spark. If not, then you have an ignition problem.

Re-post when you've got that far.

DO NOT USE A DRILL TO START A MOTOR!! It is very possible that once the motor starts running, it will go faster than your drill, and the flywheel nut will loosen and perhaps come off. That may result in a 10lb spinning projectile (the flywheel) launching itself at you."

Thanks ken really apreciate yo

Thanks ken really apreciate your help I will try and get to it tomorrow after work and repost the results. I have checked the spark but not at 1/4" so i will do this.Should i put the choke on for all four pulls? Thanks again Ken ill get back to you. CLINT

Back