Logo

Shifting to foward to reverse

tewing

"After reviewing this discussi

"After reviewing this discussion board for over 90 minutes I have come to some conclusion what my problem MIGHT be.

I have a Johnson 40 hp elect. start eng. I have recently changed the water pump. I took special care with the shift rod as to not turn it. I even marked the position it was in as I pulled it from the motor. After water pump work was completed I put 80W-90 valvoline gear oil back in.

From reading this DB I concluded I might not have returned the shift rod as it was or used the wrong gear oil.

This is my problem. When starting motor it is in foward gear. I pull back to the first click, it is in neutral. I pull all the way back it goes to foward gear at a lower speed then when engauged in true foward.

I am positive I didn't mess with the shift rod however can one turn either way make that big of a difference?

Can gear oil not make it shift properly?

Down and out in INDY.

Thanks in advance for good advice.

TE"

Did you remove the phillip hea

Did you remove the phillip head screw from the bottom of the lower unit at anytime? If so the shift lever may not be located as needed. The oil has nothing to do with the problem. Only the screws with slots should be removed for the oil service on the lower unit.

good luck.

"Not Me"...no sure did

"Not Me"...no sure didn't remove that screw I read that warning prior to the waterpump install.

"Tom,
That is a stumper then

"Tom,
That is a stumper then. All should be fine if all you did was replace the impeller. I'd like to know what you find. I haven't checked the manual for that model so there is a good chance there is another step that is being missed. If I can find the manual and see anything I'll let you know. Good luck."

"Tom... That model number indi

"Tom... That model number indicates that your engine is a 1989 40hp Johnson, Electric Start.

Doublecheck to make sure that the threaded adjustable trunion on the shift cable is securely clamped in the retaining fixture at the engine."

"Joe it appears all is secure.

"Joe it appears all is secure. I took some digital pics because a pic says 1000 words but I am afraid it will take too much server space. I can email them to you with your permission of coarse. I will attempt to describe the location of all shifting cables and their positions.

Since I am a novice at this there are 2 cables, upper and lower. The lower also has a brass rod connected to it going to a brass?.

When in Neutral & )the upper cable has its shift lever slightly forward from the lower cables shift lever. The lower cable, which has the brass rod going to a brass lever, is centered on the ball bearing.

When in forward (pics & )the upper cable has its shift lever extended to the rear of the engine and the lower cables shift lever is extended to the front of the engine. The lower cable, which has the brass rod going to a brass lever, has the ball bearing positioned to the front of the brass lever.

When in Reverse (pics & ) the upper cable and lower cable are extended to the rear of the engine. The lower cable, which has the brass rod going to a brass lever, has the ball bearing positioned to the rear of the brass lever."

"Joe, I am at a loss ... I nev

"Joe, I am at a loss ... I never disconnected those cables. The only thing I have ever done to the motor was replace the water pump. I have double checked the shift rod and it is secure. I was very careful not to turn the rod while off the motor, I even marked it just in case. The last time used prior to WP change it was working fine.

Tom"

"Need a solution for a A shift

"Need a solution for a A shifting problem with at 18 HP Johnson, year 1961. It appears to be stuck in reverse. It will shift to nutral, But when I position it for forward it still goes into reverse???It is Model Number FD-15 and serial Number 2157358.Any advice or solutions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance."

Back