Logo

1977 35 hp Johnson seahorse lower unit removal

maw77712

"I am having trouble getting m

"I am having trouble getting my lower unit off. I need to replace the prop shaft. I have removed all the bolts that I can see holding it on. Also the shift shaft bolt. It is loose toward the back, but does not want to move toward the front. Is there a trick. Can anyone help."

"Are you sure all the nuts and

"Are you sure all the nuts and bolts are removed? Is the shift rod free to slide out of the coupler? One bolt must be removed from the coupler and the other loose enough to let the shift rod move out.There could be some retainers on the underside. I'm not sure of yours but some models had a nut under a screen in the water pick up area. This may very well be a different model than yours that I'm thinking of so if it is not there don't think you are missing it. Other than that,if you are sure all retaining nuts / bolts are loose,the driveshaft may be stuck in the crankshaft from lack of grease. In this case take two large screw drivers and place one on either side of the unit even with the drive shaft. Pry the unit down VERY EASY! Do not force it.It should move down if all is loose. If it still will not move,try and see just what area is holding it. Best of luck."

"On that model, it is common f

"On that model, it is common for the forward stud to be frozen tight due to corrosion. If this is the case, use a hand held propane torch to heat the aluminum housing surrounding that stud to help free it."

"still no luck, tried heating

"still no luck, tried heating it up. does the forward stud come out when the lower with the lower unit? I have the nut and lock washer off the threaded part. Does this slide down and out. I don want to snap it off"

"I guess I should have asked t

"I guess I should have asked this first, Does the lower unit have to come off to remove and replace the prop shaft. I have ordered a manual. I am trying to get ahead."

"The unit must down, and drive

"The unit must down, and driveshaft out, plus the rest of the internal parts. One small tip: Do not try to get the propshaft back in again with its two springloaded detent balls without using the 'special' tool needed to keep them in place!!!!(Or make your own)."

Back