Logo

V6 vs V8

bf253

"I have been doing a lot of re

"I have been doing a lot of research for an I/O boat for the past few months. I have decided on what make to go with, a 4.3L V6 engine (with the help of this message board discussion). However, a boat of the make and style and year I want just came on the market for a good price but it is a V8. With gas prices being what they are, should I stay clear of the V8 or would there not be much difference between the two on gas mileage?
Tanks for your responses.
happy.gif
"

Are you buying new or used? Do

Are you buying new or used? Do either engine have EFI? If it is a used boat with EFI the fuel use will not be that bad depending on the size of the boat and engine. There are some 302 EFI ford OMC models that are very easy on fuel. If both the 6 and 8 are older models with a carburetor there will not be much change. They will both like the fuel dock. If you are looking at a EFI model it will I'd say use up to a third less fuel depending on type of use and conditions over one with a carburetor. If you like the boat and the price is right buy it. If it has the EFI your ahead. If you are buying a new boat then you have more choices. Used boats are hard to order the way you want them if you know what I mean. Best of luck.

Back