Logo

Cannot raise lower end of Evinrude 48hp 1995

E

ED De

"Just purchased an Evinrude 48

"Just purchased an Evinrude 48hp and cannot make the unit raise from the water. Trying to get manual in the next few days but really need to lift it. Is there a mechanical release override for this situation and can you help me locate it??[email protected]"

two things to check on--
ther

two things to check on--
there may be a small lever somewhere under the motor housing where the transom clamp is that "locks" or "unlocks" the motor so it can be raised--
there may also be a set screw somewhere in the same vicinity that adjust the tension of the lilfting mechanism--if this tension is too tight you may not be able to move the motor up or down--

"I'm not sure if it is pow

"I'm not sure if it is power trim or not. The shift has an up and down switch but nothing happens. The seller never had the boat in the water and never ran it, it was inherited and he knew nothing about it. The release lever on the motor just flops around, the cable that attaches to it has become disconnected from the lever, it looks like the upper socket or ball is broken."

Most of the time on motors wit

Most of the time on motors with manual lift it must be put into foward gear to release the lock. Good luck and let us know what is happening.

"You have got a 'touch tri

"You have got a 'touch trim' system. The cable again opeates a valve on top of a gas filled cylinder. Try either to pull the inner cord of the wire, but the probable reason for the plastic shell to be broken is that the wire is stuck and needs to be replaced! Engine nust off the boat in Your case to do that. Note that the only thing servicable on that system is change of cable. Do not under any circumstances try to open the cylinder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Try using needle nosed vise gr

Try using needle nosed vise grips to get a hold of the release wire / cable. If you can pull this wire out it may release the lock system. It does not need to move very far. Take care when doing this because you need a second person to lift the motor while the release is held. In this case there is a chance of pinching your fingers if you are not careful while the motor is moving up. If you do raise the motor there should be a travel lock on one side of the motor transom mount for holding it up. If this is for a trip to the lake I do not think it is a good idea. You may only get one shot at this working. If you can not move the boat with the motor down you will be stuck if it doesn't work a second time. This is a weak point on this type of system but the lever is what breaks most of the time. If the cable is all chewed up this may have been broken for sometime and was being operated in the way I've said to try and work it. Best of luck with your new boat.

Back