Logo

Coil and Ignition testing 1954 Evinrude 25hp #25916

kerry_smith

"How do I test the coil, conde

"How do I test the coil, condensor etc. on a 1954 Evinrude 25hp outboard, model # 25916. I have a plug that is not firing. The plug wire appears okay but will replace that first for grins. After that is there a way to test the condensor and coil with a multimeter? Any other recommendations on the assembly now that the flywheel is off? Lubrication, etc..."

"Most of the time the coil is

"Most of the time the coil is good unless it has cracking on it. This motor should have 2 coils and 2 sets of points if I remember right. Check the gap and condition of the point set. The proper gap should be on the flywheel. As far as the coil testing goes,check the one that is known to be good and then test the other one and see if it is the same. Or close. I'm sure that someone will give you the correct readings but I do not have a book that covers that model. Sorry. There should be a wick that you put a little oil on for oiling the the point set where it runs on the crankshaft. If not a little grease on the points where they ride on the crankshaft will do. There is grease made for this that a dealer should have.
I hope this helps and good luck."

"This 'oldie' is defin

"This 'oldie' is definately Joe Reeves territory, a bit to old for me to handle on the net like this. Hopefully he dropps by!"

"I wouldnt bother testing any

"I wouldnt bother testing any of it because its probably pretty old. And if you find something is bad you have to replace it anyway. Just replace the parts now. Besides, one replacement coil for that motor runs about 20 bucks--
most replacement kits for the points and condenser have two sets in them for about 15 dollars I think although I could be wrong on this one--so for about 60 dollars, you get brand new components that you never have to wonder about--
If I were doing it, I would replace everything and then I know I would have piece of mind--
actually I just did that very thing with a 62 Johnson I bought last winter--
Dont forget to replace the spark plug wires also--
just my two cents--
tom"

"Okay, I found coils. I can no

"Okay, I found coils. I can not find tune up kits. Will a kit from a 1955 25hp work? The part number for the 55 is 18-5006. I have no kit number available or seperate part numbers for the points, condenser in my service manual."

I only can find two listing fo

I only can find two listing for 25 hp Evinrude--
One in 1955 and one for the years 69-78--
The part number for the 55 is 18-5006. This kit is listed for many motors in the years before and after 1955. I would contact the place where you got the coils and ask them what they sell as the tune up kit for your model.

Back