Logo

2005 50hp Mercury Outboard Ignition Swtich Wiring

uk8181r

Could someone please tell me t

Could someone please tell me the function of the following wires on my ignition swtich:

RED
PURPLE
YELLOW
BLACK
YELLOW/RED
BLACK/YELLOW

I've had a starting problem since May and I believe it's my swtich. I bought a new swtich but I'm not sure it's going to work??? It has a Magneto hook up on it but my engine doesn't have this does it? Please help. Thanks

"Gday Ken

RED = Bat +

"Gday Ken

RED = Bat +
PURPLE = Ignition
YELLOW/Black = Choke
BLACK = Ground
YELLOW/RED = Start
BLACK/YELLOW = Kill

What problems? Cranks but wont fire, Doesn't crank at all?

Cheers Spanaman"

"STARTER SPINS, BUT THE STARTE

"STARTER SPINS, BUT THE STARTER WONT INGAGE FLYWHEEL. I HAVE CHECKED THE BATTERIES THEY ARE GOOD. I TOOK JUMPER CABLES FROM THE BATTERY DIR TO THE STARTER AND THE STARTER INGAGDED THE FLYWHEEL AMD CRANKED THE ENGINE. MY BATTERY AND STARTER ARE GOOD. I SUSPAECT THE IGNITION IS BAD. I DID SOME VOLTAGE CHECKS ON THE WIRING HARNES AT THE SWITCH, WITH THE SWITCH DISCONNECTED. I FOUND I SAW 12 VOLTS ON 5 OUT OF THE 6 WIRES WITH THE EXCEPTION BEING THE BLACK/YELLOW WIRE WHICH ONLY READ LESS THEN A VOLT. IS THIS CORRECT IS THIS WHAT I SHOULD BE READING, ON THE WIRING HARNESS WITH OUT THE SWITCH CONNECTED.

THANKS
KEN"

"If the starter spins when you

"If the starter spins when you turn the key i would say ur ignition switch would be ok although ur readings don’t add up at all. The fact that you bypassed the battery cables "I TOOK JUMPER CABLES FROM THE BATTERY DIR TO THE STARTER AND THE STARTER INGAGDED THE FLYWHEEL AMD CRANKED THE ENGINE." indicates a faulty solenoid, bad battery cables or battery switch. U need to do a VOLTAGE DROP TEST to find the culprit."

Back