Logo

283 cooling problem

billrush

I have twin 283's in a &#3

I have twin 283's in a '61 Chriscraft. The Port engine starting this spring has needed to run at high rpm to get the water pump running. I replaced the impellers about 3 years ago and it was working fine. I usually run at low rpm and not very far. yesterday at 2000 rpm noticed steam in exhaust and temp gage up to 130 from normal 100. Do I replace the impellrrs again? Any suggestions? Thanks

Impellors should be checked ev

Impellors should be checked every year if not replaced. If the boat is layed up part of the year the impellor can take a "set" and not pump effeceintly. And / or it could be partly breaking up also not pumping at maximum. Worst part of that bits of the impellor will go down stream and could cause blockages.

I would at least check them out now. After 3 years it is cheap easy insurance.

Bill

"I too have the same problem a

"I too have the same problem and is RPM/ Temp related to get the water flowing. The impeller is fine. Every time I run the boat, it is like clockwork, the temp goes to 210, then the water starts flowing. It acts like it has a thermostat!"

"My Port 283 runs a bit hot.

"My Port 283 runs a bit hot. I don't run these engines hard at all but on my way to winter layup this fall on a cool October Minnesota day, at about 2000 RPM there was a huge difference between the two engines. The Port produced noticable steam in the exhaust and the Starboard produced essentially no steam. How do I go about troubleshooting this problem in the spring. I think the water jacket on the right bank of this engine is much warmer towards the flywheel end of the engine than the other jacket. Can someone tell me how the water flows from the water pump through the engine and backinto the water jacket so I can conceptualize where the blockage might be. These engines are in a '61 CC Seaskiff and they do not have a thermostat. Thanks for any help or ideas."

"Water leaving from water pump

"Water leaving from water pump enters exhaust manifold (to be preheated), leaves EM at flywheel end and enters Cylinder head via hose. Moves though the block and exit out near the timing cover at rear end of engine. Water then is dump into exhaust manifold via hose to be dump overboard with exhaust."

Back