Logo

Slack in steering

rgtinc

I have 2001 Formula with twin

I have 2001 Formula with twin 5.7 GSIs. There is about 30 degrees of play in my steering now and it has increases slowly over the years. It appears that the slack is in the mechanism where the cables from the steering wheel connect to the power steering in the rear. I talked to Volvo and they said all I should replace the steering $$$ - I bought a manual but it doesn't say anything about it. Is there any way to adjust it out?

"On my new boat 2006 Chaparral

"On my new boat 2006 Chaparral 236SSI, with a single volvo dual prop drive, I had a LOT of slack when engine off, but didn't notice it when running. So I looked and noticed that the power steering system "tightens up" when pressured up and the slack goes away. Check and make sure this is not the case with yours. Check to see if theirs a lot of slack in the pins and block that connect the steering cable to the power steering unit. THe pins do allow some slack, but not noticeable when running and not a problem. If you have a lot of slack, look the pins and holes carefully, if very worn-replace them as I suppose they could break. I had one almost rusted through years ago."

Thanks but the slack is actual

Thanks but the slack is actually much worse when running. So much so as I maneuver across waves the boat will make very sudden direction changes. The outdrives will swing without the wheel moving.

"Rob, just get someone to move

"Rob, just get someone to move the steering wheel back and forth just an inch or so and them go a little more at a time, constantly back and forth. You go look at the steering mechanism in the boat and start at the cable end. Just see whats moving and where the slack is. Kinda simple but you should be able to see exactly where the slack is. Done this many times."

Back