Logo

Prop shaft seals leaking

taffyfester

I have an oil leak at the oute

I have an oil leak at the outer shaft to bearing housing on my VP DP-S stern drive.Do I need to disassemble the lower leg to change the seals or can I do it in- situ

"If you can figure a way to re

"If you can figure a way to remove the seals, inspect it for damage and reinstall them without disassembly and oil leaking out, you would be very lucky. The bearing carrier needs to come out and since you probably have water in there, you should do a complete inspection.

Most of the boats I worked on with leaking seals were either old or fishing line got wrapped around the shaft and worked its way into the seals. Bent prop shafts are also very bad for seals since the diameter of the circle caused by the bend expands the seal, even if the prop didn't rub on the housing.."

"Thanks for that.I dont think

"Thanks for that.I dont think there is any water in the oil,and it is a very small leak so i'm hoping I can just change the seals.
However if this does not work,how do get the retaining ring item 38(it has scallopes) off ,and how does the bearing carrier item 28 come out.Ithink the leak is on item 33.Sorry couldn't upload drawing found on stemtostern.com
thanks"

"There's a tool for removi

"There's a tool for removing the carrier retainer and a puller for the carrier. Then, there are lots of other special tools for marine applications."

Back