Logo

1988 305 omc wont shif from reverse to neutralforward and runs really bad at idle

jstack

"I recently bought this 1988 s

"I recently bought this 1988 sunbird with a 305 and omc drive, I dropped it in today every thing was great at ran well ... when we came back in I stuck it in reverse for a second to slow for the dock and it would not shift back into drive or neutral after I shut it off it would shift, when I re started it it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders, I played with the throttle for a second and all of a sudden It picked up and ran normally, The outdrive was rebuilt less than 20 hours ago and new cables installed, (according to the guy I got it from) any clues as to where to start?"

"It sounds like Your shift ass

"It sounds like Your shift assist system may not be properly adjusted. When shifting, always go a bit past and then back. When shifting forward-neutral: go almost to reverse, and then to neutral, when shifting reverse-neutral: go almost to forward and then back to neutral."

I have a bayliner ciera with a

I have a bayliner ciera with a omc and a chevy 5.7 been working on it. It is a 1989 when I go to put it in gear it grinds a little bit and stalls out. But I have been able to get it into gear but usually not does anyone know what my ploblem is. Thanks

"Dave:
Could You please move

"Dave:
Could You please move this to a newthread?
Go to the OMC page and click 'start a new thread". It is a bit difficult haveing two 'problems' in the same tread even if the problem sems similar. But please explain 'grinds'. Gear sound, or just engine stalls?"

"thanks for the fast replys Mo

"thanks for the fast replys Morten Ringvold, I was about to remove the drive on my boat to check the shift cable adjustment, and noticed that there is a gasket between the two parts. I did order a parts manual and a service manual for this but they wont be here for a while, any one know what to use for parts? someone is selling a kit on ebay with the seals etc http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OMC-COBRA-TRANSOM-REPAIR-KIT-BELLOWS_W0QQcmdZView ItemQQcategoryZ50442QQihZ006QQitemZ160004406759QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW Think that will work? also Is there a way to inspect my gears for dammage witout disassembleing the lower unit?.... with the transom shift cable off of the shift cam it pulls out easy but pushes in kind of stiff, should I just get a cable also? thanks for all the help Josh"

"I think You may get the parts

"I think You may get the parts from this site, but I do not know the part number. Try on top of the page engine parts, and OMC cobra. What You need is probably a new shift cable and the gasket between drive and transom. By cable compleete NOT just the inner wire!
Come back if any questions on the way.
Post back when You got the drive off, I might be able to give You some extra tips on the way."

"I have the drive off and the

"I have the drive off and the cable out, in the manual I got it doesnt really tell how to put the cable in... do I screw the part in the drive first and then feed the cable through or put in the cable and then screw it in,,,"

"If You have the whole housing

"If You have the whole housing off, attach the cable to the housing first and then put it in. Use Sealing Compound on the thread and do not kill the o-ring. Tape or in other way protect the end of the cable before putting it in so the wire and sleeve is not dammaged and filled with dirt from the big protecting hose. Then put the housing back, attach bellows and waterhose. Check the u-joint bellow for cracks and dammage specially at the sealing surface towards the drive."

"ok now that I have the new ca

"ok now that I have the new cable put in Im having a bit of trouble understanding the transom shift cable adjustment,

8. Move the cable guide in or out until the lower edge of the guide tab is just flush with the pivot housing gasket surface. "
am I suposed to flush align the front of the cable guide tab or the back with the pivot housing? when they say "lower edge of the guide tab" are they talking about the 1 1/4 inch long "fin" on the bottom of the plastic cable guide ? either way I line that part up (flush with housing)there is no way I can get a 7 5/8 cable end to hole adjustment on the top thanks much for the help"

"OMC COBRA SHIFT STICKING PROB

"OMC COBRA SHIFT STICKING PROBLEM & SOURCE.

On a test trial we experience a shift problem, it was stuck in forward. Driving back was not a problem with a new powertrain. after removing outdrive i inspected the lower shift cable and found that the shift cable had popped out from the shift lever that connects to the shift rod on the outdrive.i reassembled it and found that the pin sits too high on the shift cable,therefore under load will flex enough to push itself under the pin and jamming itself into whatever gear you are shifting to. my remedy was to drill a 1/8 in. hole evenly through the top of the shift cable end.afterdoing so you can now place a cotter pin through the hole creating a lock for the shift lever onto the top of the shift cable end and assembling it again. }}"

Back