Logo

Rookie question b79 OMC GM V8 trashed Will a Ford V8 fit on same stringers same motor mounts

gallipoli

"Rookie question: '79 OMC

"Rookie question: '79 OMC GM V8 trashed; Will a Ford V8 fit the same stringers, same motor mounts?

The engine flooded and rusted solid from Hurricane Katrina. The outdrive is off. I'm going to drop in a complete motor with bell housing, pulleys, belts, carb, manifolds, risers, etc... everything but the outdrive. I don't want to do any hull structural work (stringers or fiberglass) (my main worry).

I've done all my own basic engine work but never pulled or swapped an engine.

I found a good running '77 Ford 302 V8 recently rebuilt ready to drop in with intermediate housing for $400.

I'm looking for OMC Chevy V8's ready to go but they're more expensive (at least $1,200 inc shipping).

Is it the same amount of work to install either engine? If I drop in the Ford is it going to fit on my stringers? Will it need to be aligned somehow?

Is it any less work to put in a Chevy since it's a perfect fit and can use the same motor mounts?

I can't reuse any old parts because they're all rusted red from salt water in Hurricane Katrina.

The kids want to go fishing, "are we there yet?"

The Boat is a 1979 23' John Allmand with an OMC 230 HP GM V8 305 cid ('79 or '82). The outdrive is an OMC 800 Stringer electric shift.

Thanks in advance for any help."

"A few marine guys I talked to

"A few marine guys I talked to (one if a friend) said the stringers are a pretty standard width, so if I fit a GM V8 I should be able to fit a V6 or Ford V6/V8 as long as I get the complete setup including bellhousing/intermediate housing and exhaust. I'm looking at COMPLETE motors complete with from intermediate/Bell housing to manifolds, carb, pumps and belts. The only thing I'll be re-using is my outdrive will bolt on the intermediate housing.

Anyone ever tried to swap a Ford for GM or measured the mounts and know if switching requires any changes to the stringers? I assume not but I haven't measured the distance between mounts (width) on a Ford motor.

My gut instinct tells me I could use a Mercruiser engine as long as I obtain the right bell housing/intermediate; is this correct?"

There are a lot of GM 350 V8 M

There are a lot of GM 350 V8 Mercruiser (260HP) setups out there. Can you take a Merc Engine and just remove the Merc Bell housing and put the Chevy 350 OMC Intermediate housing on it?

is the 77 ford an electric shi

is the 77 ford an electric shift? I know that the 79 is a hydro assist shift. will an hydro assist shift lower unit work on a electric shift intermediate housing. or are you planning to use just the bell housing off of the ford and putting your 79 intermediate housing on it. I think that the ford 302 is much wider then the GM and the front motor mounts are diff. you might have to drill new mounting holes.

Back