Logo

270 gear housing removal HELP

stvpenn

"Hello all,
I am still having

"Hello all,
I am still having problems removing the upper gear box. i got it to come out a few inches but wont come the rest of the way out. HELP please. I can see where the u-joint closes to the motor has been scrapping against the thing that hold the bellow on. also should the u-joint and shaft wiggle around alot in there?
Thanks for any help"

"You should take the drive off

"You should take the drive off Transom if repairing u-joints. Also, than you can grab your shaft to see if you have any movement ,(Should be none on shaft)After unhooking bellows boot,exhaust boot,and inlet water hose and unbolting the drive comes right off by pulling straight back.The yoke just slides on the shaft so it will slide right off with the drive. ((BE Ware )) When you get drive out of the way off transom ,there are 4 allen head bolts on drive around where yoke goes in Drive thats the only ones you need to take out to remove the yoke from thr 270 drive unit to replace the u-joints.BUT be carefull when you pull yoke from the drive because there are shims in there big round ones,keep them in same place when putting back together. The yoke that goes in the drive has one bolt that holes the gear on and is bolted to the yoke and will come out with u-joint assembly after removing the just 4 allen head bolts. Sometimes its in there real good so i pull on yoke and tunk with a hammer as i keep pressure on the yokes and it should slide right out as you tunk. I had the u-joints that were bad scrapping the bellhousing too. But caught it to fix it in time. I think you caught yours in time too,I hope."

"El Pesador help me with info

"El Pesador help me with infomation to repair my boat. That person knows his stuff. but your the one that has to do the manual work.But i am willing to help you out on that problem you have . Its really not hard to replace u-joints.I can take my 270 drive off in only a 1/2 hour.If you need help my e-mail is ([email protected])because El Pesador is always busy helping alot of other people."

""Pescador", not "

""Pescador", not "Pesador".
biggrin.gif
"

"I forgot: thanks for the comp

"I forgot: thanks for the compliment, William. I am just trying to share whatever I have learned over the years that may help make other boater's lives easier."

"Need Advice Please: I have a

"Need Advice Please: I have a 1999 Regal 2100LSR with a Volvo Penta 5.0 GL. The lower outdrive housing got a hole in it and let in water and is apparently ruined. What should I do? The dealer where it was bought is talking $2,000 or more to repair. Thanks"

Back