Logo

Albin Diesel 1970 20hp

B

Bill Davis

" Anyone have any insight or c

" Anyone have any insight or criticism of this engine???
Thank You, Bill D. "

" Bill,

The Albin engine is

" Bill,

The Albin engine is a decent engine. Simple to run and repair, and a pretty tough engine (it won't run on one cylinder though as some of the other small two cylinder diesels will!). I've rebuilt a number of them. The biggest concern is the cost and availablity of parts. I used to get parts from an outfit in Florida, I think they were called Marine Engine Equipment or something like that, as I recall a set of rings was $150.00 !!!

If you have the engine or end up getting one, I can supply you with a service manual reprint.

Regards,
Gil Plumb "

" Thank you Gil. By the way, i

" Thank you Gil. By the way, is $150. for a set of rings expensive?? "

" Bill,

I think $150 for a

" Bill,

I think $150 for a set of rings is expensive... but I am "getting on in years" and maybe I just have trouble adjusting to today's prices.

Gil "

" I think $150 for a set of pi

" I think $150 for a set of piston rings for a small engine is high too!

If you ever get stuck and need custom piston rings there are a number of companies that make them for a "reasonable" fee. I have used Niagra Piston Works and been very happy with the product, service, price, etc. I don't think they have a web site.

Niagara Piston Ring Works, Inc.
18455 Sciota Street
Corry, PA 16407

(814) 664-9233

Regards,
Andrew "

"If you are looking for Albin

"If you are looking for Albin Diesel parts, visit www.albinmotor.com. The company is called Fors Marin and they are in Sweden. I have an Albin AD-2 diesel. The folks at Fors Marin are very helpful and provided all the parts I needed.

"

"Bill,

Thanks for adding th

"Bill,

Thanks for adding that... I was not aware of Fors Marin before. They have a very nice website which includes troubleshooting and tech help.

They also list a dealer in Florida, which is probably the company Gil was refering to:

AME Ship equipment, inc.
3464 N.W North River DR
Miami, 33142 Florida

Fax: +1 305-634-1291
Phone: +1 305-635-2401

email [email protected]."

" hi folks..

the phone num

" hi folks..

the phone numbers for the florida dealer are correct, but the e-mail address is out of date..

I'm finding the parts cripplingly expensive.

Does anyone know any dodges for getting a bit more use out of an old head gasket??

If anyone's interested in albin ad-21 parts (ie brand new injector tips, etc) i'm close to deciding to part out my engine and repowering with something more current.

murray "

Re: " Bill, The Albin engine is

Gil Do you know the proper running temperature for an Albin AD-2? the manual says the thermostat starts o open at 75C, but not what the engine runs at.

Back