Logo

Diagnostic software codes

"Try to hook a clear plastic h

"Try to hook a clear plastic hose close to the 'connector at the engine' and make a loope. That way You should be able to see an air buble building, if air and not just a weak lift pump. As for the tank, there are some different systems. Some has a solid tube going from top to bottom, some has a 'loose, tube that is pressed down by a niple on top. If the niple does not press properly on the tube You will have an air leak. Just take the tube out and check.
I am slightly limmited in my net access at the moment, changing my 'setup', but will hopefully be back in 'normal' in a day or two! Just opening a business centre in the condo I am living and waiting for new lines to be installed."

"I haven't done the clear

"I haven't done the clear hose test yet, maybe tomorrow. Is it safe to assume that if no air bubbles / pocket that the lift pump is weak ? I haven't price lift pump yet, any way to test? any way to make them work better. Do they have a filter that might be clogged (aside from the large gas filter that attaches to it).

my anti-siphon valve screws into a metal fitting at the top of my tank. The anti-siphon valve can come out easy, but the metal part attached to my tank is pretty solid, and doesn't want to move easy. I was worried about putting to much forse on it and damaging the plastic tank. That metal unit seems very solid. I'm not sure what attaches to it inside the tank. If rubber hose or metal tube to bottom of tank. Should I be concerned with tank connection if no air bubbles / pocket in clear hose test?

thanks again
mark

I know you are having limited net access, so no rush."

"There are normal ways and &#3

"There are normal ways and 'naughty' ways of performing different tests. To test the pump suction, the naughty one is:
Pump up fuel pressure with the bulb, detach the hose from the tank and block it, then start the engine. The bulb shall go flat!If so, ok!!!
As for the fuel tank, I anm not quite sure what kind of connector/niple You have, but normally the big nut is part of the tank and the nipple may be screwed out. Post a pic if possible and I may be able to tell. If You test the pump as mentioned above You may put the plastic hose between the tank and fuel hose, just to test the tank tube."

"morten,

How quickly shoul

"morten,

How quickly should the fuel bulb go flat in above test of fuel lift pump? Will try to post a pic of tank shortly. I did run a peice of clear hose directly from my tank to the elbow going into my engine cowl. I kept it short as possible and made one loop to collect any air. I added the primer bulb to the middle of the set-up. I started out with a hard primer buld but after some run time it got soft on me. NO air was in the clear hose loop, or anywhere for that fact. Does that indicate a bad fuel lift pump, or could it still be a prblm w/ the tube into my tank?

thanks again
mark"

"No air is in a way a good sig

"No air is in a way a good sign, bad in another as it may indicate a bad lift pump. As the old electric pressure pump was in a bad state and there seems to be some indications that the injectors have been changed I suspect the whole fuel system has been filled with water at some time. I would not be to surpriced if there are damages inside the lift pump on the valve seats which means a new pump and not only a rebuild. The bulb should go flat rather quick if running full speed, may take quite some time, and perhaps not at idling. You probably have to run above the rpm where the problem starts. If the bulb just gets 'soft' there is a fuel pump problem, if it gets 'flat' a restriction problem before the bulb. The 'no air' indicates at least that the tank tube is not leaking anywhere."

Back